Pokemon NO

aireland

Today while I was out caching in a semi-public environment, I was stopped by a group of youths who wanted to know if I was playing "pokemon go". I use the geocaching app from the iPhone appstore to hunt for caches, and I realized today after my encounter with these mugglets that the general public probably thinks I'm playing pokemon go, while I'm really just looking for caches. I'm not a fan of the pokemon game and I'm not really comfortable with people thinking that I'm playing it.

I know a "quick fix" would be to buy a GPS instead of use the iPhone app, but I'm not going to do that. I just wanted to gauge the community to see if anyone else has felt this way/had this thought.

Today while I was out caching in a semi-public environment, I was stopped by a group of youths who wanted to know if I was playing "pokemon go". I use the geocaching app from the iPhone appstore to hunt for caches, and I realized today after my encounter with these mugglets that the general public probably thinks I'm playing pokemon go, while I'm really just looking for caches. I'm not a fan of the pokemon game and I'm not really comfortable with people thinking that I'm playing it.

I know a "quick fix" would be to buy a GPS instead of use the iPhone app, but I'm not going to do that. I just wanted to gauge the community to see if anyone else has felt this way/had this thought.

Existing thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=340219

B.

Wouldn't be a fix at all.

The general public isn't going to know the difference between your phone and your GPS.

Get a T-Shirt? "I'M NOT PLAYING POKEMON GO!"

The actual fix is an attitude adjustment on your part; see it for the opportunity it is! If they think you're playing PGo, maybe non-PGo-ers will be more inclined to leave you alone, increasing your ninja-factor! Obvious 'stealth', as we all know, is an attention-getter; this would be 'misdirection', as with a good performer of magic illusions.

As for the PGo-ers; put up with them. I'm at the age where teenagers rarely talk to me. You'll miss the contact, ANY contact soon enough.

(Boy, that sound pathetic, doesn't it?)

Edited by TeamRabbitRun