Using an iPad, Pocket Queries, and eXporist 710

I normally download my Pocket Queries to GSAK and then upload them to my eXplorist 710. I now have an iPad Mini and am looking for a way to use it when I'm traveling to move PQs to my GPS. Has anyone figured a method to get a PQ (which is a zipped file) from an iPad into a GPS?

Thanks.

I have the same need...but with a Monterra.

tether the monterra to the iPad and email things to yourself? the monterra is a lot more flexible than most gamins , as you can setup sing services and get things auto magically transferred as needed.

I have the same need...but with a Monterra.

I've supposed that the Monterra could run most any Android App, especially file managers, so you'd pretty much load stuff directly into the Monterra's "Downloads" folder, unzip and move files to appropriate places, with a download of a PQ from the web site on an Android web browser. Maybe even installing Android Geocaching Apps loading PQs into them (some of which will export GPX files). Yeah, I guess going online at Wifi Hotspots or by tethering.

Edited by kunarion

I normally download my Pocket Queries to GSAK and then upload them to my eXplorist 710. I now have an iPad Mini and am looking for a way to use it when I'm traveling to move PQs to my GPS. Has anyone figured a method to get a PQ (which is a zipped file) from an iPad into a GPS?

Thanks.

I cannot recall the last me I used a computer to load my gpsr rather than the iPhone or iPad. I use a small wifi router (Kingston MobileLite, but there are other similar devices) that is about the size of my phone. the router sets up a small wifi connection. When I plug my gpsr into the router, I can transfer files to and from it like any other drive. I use a Garmin, but I don't know any reason why an explorist would not work the same way.

The MobileLite app does not support unzipping files. Although the caching app I use (Geosphere) seamlessly imports and exports zipped gpx files and unzips them, a file manager app could do the same thing. FileExplorer, for instance, will unzip files and support connections through the Mobilelite device so it is a simple matter to open a zipped file and transfer the gpx file to another connected device. The browser, icabmobile, also has powerful file handling capabilities, so you could save a zipped file, unzip it within the app, and transfer it using Mobilelite (opening it in either the Mobilelite app or FileExplorer),

Edited by geodarts

Like "geodarts" , I also use a similar solution. In fact geodarts help me last year to come up,with a solution. It works well. However, when my iPad dies, I will replace it with a Window based tablet, so that I have a USB port and can use GSAK.

Edited by Poncho16

Thanks.

I cannot recall the last me I used a computer to load my gpsr rather than the iPhone or iPad. I use a small wifi router (Kingston MobileLite, but there are other similar devices) that is about the size of my phone. the router sets up a small wifi connection. When I plug my gpsr into the router, I can transfer files to and from it like any other drive. I use a Garmin, but I don't know any reason why an explorist would not work the same way.

The MobileLite app does not support unzipping files. Although the caching app I use (Geosphere) seamlessly imports and exports zipped gpx files and unzips them, a file manager app could do the same thing. FileExplorer, for instance, will unzip files and support connections through the Mobilelite device so it is a simple matter to open a zipped file and transfer the gpx file to another connected device. The browser, icabmobile, also has powerful file handling capabilities, so you could save a zipped file, unzip it within the app, and transfer it using Mobilelite (opening it in either the Mobilelite app or FileExplorer),

Thank you so much for your great ideas.