Starting a trackable

Twinklekitkat

I was thinking about entering the Duck Dash but I really don't want to send out one of my trackables because I'm sure it would most likely go missing. My collection is mostly all coins and I don't own any plain ol' tags. Would it be OK to activate one of these and then just put the number on a laminated tag and set it in a cache? Anyone have any opinions?

I was thinking about entering the Duck Dash but I really don't want to send out one of my trackables because I'm sure it would most likely go missing. My collection is mostly all coins and I don't own any plain ol' tags. Would it be OK to activate one of these and then just put the number on a laminated tag and set it in a cache? Anyone have any opinions?

That should be fine. There are a lot of proxy TBs out there, which is essentially what you're talking about.

This is why I like the easy-to-read Help Center... :)

On the duck race FAQ, it does say:

Sometimes geocachers find trackables and forget to log them. However, if time passes and your trackables is still missing, you have several options:

•Send out a replacement trackables: All trackables come with a copy tag in case the original is lost—attach the copy tag to another item and place it in a new cache

•Or, you can write/etch the TB Code onto another item and place it in a new cache

•The tracking number will still work even if it's on another item

So, yep, you're good-to-go, as long as i it is/was a trackable with no prior mileage (that's also in the FAQ).

This is why I like the easy-to-read Help Center... :)

On the duck race FAQ, it does say:

Sometimes geocachers find trackables and forget to log them. However, if time passes and your trackables is still missing, you have several options:

•Send out a replacement trackables: All trackables come with a copy tag in case the original is lost—attach the copy tag to another item and place it in a new cache

•Or, you can write/etch the TB Code onto another item and place it in a new cache

•The tracking number will still work even if it's on another item

So, yep, you're good-to-go, as long as i it is/was a trackable with no prior mileage (that's also in the FAQ).

Umm, yeah. I thought I read all the info on the page. I did not however, read the Trackable Race FAQ. Thanks for pointing that out to me. This will be my first trackable number out in the wild so we'll see how it goes.