Caching trip to Pittsburgh (5/23-5/26), any suggestions?

Paddy Yenar

I will be visiting Pittsburgh area over the holiday weekend (5/23-5/26). I am looking for some suggestions on some "most do" caches during my visit. I most likely will avoid long multi caches and anything that requires a major hike due to time constraints. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that anyone has on the subject. Also are there any caches that should be avoided due to possible MIA or lack of maintenance?

Thanks,

PY

Geocky

My opinion, shared by many Western PA cachers, is that our best caches include those which take advantage of the hilly terrain -- many of which are well outside of town. Translation: Long hikes and multicaches. Per your request, I won't include those.

Pittsburgh is a very difficult town to navigate in. Everywhere you go, you run into a river or a hill. To recommend caches for a visitor, it is easiest for me to choose some likely areas and then list the quicker cache finds that aren't likely to get you lost on your way to the park. Here they are, grouped in clusters by area:

Downtown Area:

Fred & Barney's Place (virtual) GCFF95

Ben Herr GC986

Elves on the Riverfront (micro) GC9C88

AVOID: Abandoned View GC5058 (plundered)

Oakland/Shadyside/East End:

Two in Schenley Park:

(Ladies and Gentlemen) The Bridge and the Groom GCG38T

Schenley1 GC2888

Three in Frick Park:

Stone Stash GCG437

Scmitt Stash GC4670

this is the frickin pitts GCF1C8

Four in Highland Park near the zoo:

Kid Science Series GC3EAF & others nearby (#2 is likely missing)

Walk the Block (virtual) GCB22C

North Park:

Devil's Elbow Cache GCG3EA

Loggerlager II GC456E (requires stream crossings)

Go with the Flow, H1O GC5457

Go with the Flow, H20 GC5459

Go with the Flow, H30 GC545B

Creek Connections GC4F1C

Bluebird GC5AC

Airport Area:

Resurrection Aerie GC2C6A

Unchained Elves GCE9EF

Robin Hill GC240E

Elves in the Forest GC791E

Monroeville/East Suburbs:

See Jack Run GCE782

Cross Roads GCA5D5 (virtual)

The Hawk's Eye Sees a Sunrise GC9866

Thrill on a Hill GCA638

Use Your Senses GCC24F

Hidden Wampum GC9B6B

Carpenter House GC204A

Paradise in Plum GC7957

Timber Toes GC7C17

I don't know that any of these are a "must do" or "can't miss" but they are fine urban and park caches. Run a pocket query on zip code 15222 and you'll get all of them.

If you are staying in a particular area of Pittsburgh not described above, let me know and I will post some further recommendations. I hope you enjoy your trip!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I agree pretty much with what Lep said - it can be difficult trying to navigate around the city because nothing intersects at a right angle. So if you're looking to avoid driving around too much, the cluster in North Park is probably your best bet. There's a nice grouping of relatively easy caches there that are fun to do.

It sounds like you want to keep things simple and close to town, so I think Lep's list is pretty much all you need. Good luck, I hope you enjoy your visit!

------------------------------

Have you had your house checked for Rae Dawn Chong?

Hey Geocky,

Good luck on your hunts, but let me just give you 1 word (or 57) of advice: Don't be tempted to invite the Leprechaun or the Tonsil to actually go caching WITH you. They'll just depend entirely on your hunting prowess to find the cache!

They'll be so busy discussing Amish satellites, proper timing in campsite setting, and other such issues, that they won't actually help you find that darn container in the woods.

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

It really is difficult to offer good suggestions without knowing what part of the city you will be staying in. I will offer that you should avoid trying to cross from one side of the city to the other. As Tonsil said, the city is not easy to navigate to begin with and right now there are a lot of really confusing and difficult detours on account of the outbound lanes of the Fort Pitt Tunnels being closed. Lep didn't mention any of the caches on the South side so if you're headquartered in that area please post again so that we can tell you about some of the caches down that way.

Johnny

I went home to visit family and friends in Pittsburgh and managed to nail a few caches the morning before my sisters wedding. Because I was coming from home on the North Side I opted to hit a bunch of the North Park caches. I had a great time and don't recall anything too difficult plus the park is safe and kept pretty clean.

Kirk

Thanks for all the info. I will be staying out in Freeport, but can and will travel all over the city. I have relatives to visit in Moon and Mars. I will also hit Ikea, the festival at Heinz Field, and of course the Strip District for Saturday morning breakfast.

I grew up in Coraopolis and moved to Kentucky after graduating from a high school in the South Hills. So I am familiar with the city, and can get around fairly well.

So if any one else has any more suggestions, feel free to post them here or email me. I want to bag some cool caches.

Also what are the caches like between Pittsburgh and (Little) Washington? Are there any caches worth stopping for on the return trip?

Thanks,

Paddy

Geocky

Ahhh... the additional info. is helpful, especially knowing you can find your way around. Here are some more cache recommendations:

Moon Area, add to "Airport" recommendations from above:

The Elves Launch a Rocket to the Moon (GCF87E) by The Leprechauns (2.5/2.5)

Off the Trail in Forest Grove (GCG0CN) by Cool Cache Gang (2.5/3)

Going, Going, Gone (GC72F7) by Argyle (1.5/1)

Look Out Below (GCFB08) by Pinball (2/3)

More quick ones in Sewickley (add to "Elves in the Forest" recommended above):

Bonnie Blink (GC3764) by Tangent and the Geopoet (1/1)

Bridal Falls (GC3444) by Tangent and the Geopoet (1/1)

Camo Cache in the Hills (GC8AFA) by MacBWizard201 (1.5/2.5)

Turkeyfoot Creek Cache (GCA420) by MacBWizard201 (1/1)

Squirrel's Oasis (GC9B3C) by Tangent and the Geopoet (1/1)

The Fruit Loop: Apple of Your Eye (GC1918) by Tangent and The Geopoet (1/1)

Between the Moon and Mars, do NOT miss the traveling alien cache, which contains travelers who have their own tracking website... you need to take a few aliens down to Kentucky:

ALIEN POD SHIP # 2 (GCFDB9) by Treasurechaser & The Mrs. (2.5/1)

Caches near Mars:

Hidden Plot (GC153B) by MacNMac (1.5/1)

I like my tree (GC7549) by Joe Smith (1.5/1.5)

Little Creek Cache III (GC2CCF) by Team GeoNav (2/2.5)

If you go a bit north of Mars, there is a HUGE cluster of caches in the Zelienople area. Some of 'em are a bit tough, but two that are enjoyable short hikes include:

Walk Along The Water (GCEAA0) by Treasurechaser & The Mrs. (2.5/2)

NESTING WITH THE BIRDS (GCF37F) by TreasureChaser & The Mrs. (3/1.5)

Do a "nearest caches" search on either of these to find out about the dozen or so nearby caches.

On your return trip, driving south down I-79 to Little Washington, here are some recommendations:

Beaver Tree Cache (GCFA1E) by framed (1/2)

Washington Park Cache (GC1E97) by VBsine (2/2.5)

Washington park Cache (3) (GCG40X) by Matlock (3/2.5)

I think you have plenty of caches to choose from. icon_biggrin.gif

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I've been watching this thread because I was planning on coming to Pittsburgh late Saturday and staying until Monday. Now it appears I may be able to come out a little sooner. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet some people while caching out there.

Nothing to see here, move along.

We are planning a trip to Pittsburgh this weekend and hope to get in a day or two of caching while we're there. We are staying downtown and flying in and out, so our concentration is probably around the airport and near downtown. We've never been to the city, so we will be reliant on GPS to get us around. This thread has a lot of good advice and I just wanted to check and see if anyone wanted to update their suggestions if any of these caches have been pludered or any exciting ones had been added.

We're somewhat new at this, but primarily enjoy caching as a stealth method of getting exercise, so we'd also welcome suggestions on caches that might involve a longer hike. We particularly value scenic locations or historically interesting settings. If anyone wanted to suggest a combo that would include one high effort / high reward cache that might be combined with a small cluster of easy to locate caches so we could both do a rewarding cache and bolster our numbers, we would love to hear your advice.

I've downloaded the suggestions already posted and if no one has anything to add we're still grateful for the information already provided in this thread. We may wind up concentrating on trying to locate travel bugs since we seem to be obsessed with them at the moment.

I'd get the MapQuest maps from the Cache pages for those caches you plan to visit and then zoom them in a bit to get local roads. And I'd get a good road map of Pittsburgh to find your way around (and to find your way back [icon_biggrin.gif]). I've been driving the area for 37 years and I still get lost a lot. Getting to the parking is sometimes more than half the battle. And welcome to Pittsburgh "you can't get there from here" Pennsylvania. Happy caching.

Since this thread started there have been some noteworthy additions in the downtown/Oakland area... IF you like micro caches!!!

Look for:

The Elves go Directly to Jail by The Leprechauns

Foreign Finance Fund 1 & 2 by Team VaxCave

NOT a micro: Just a Field Goal Kick Away by ummm, somebody

In the Airport area:

Just a Home Run Hit Away (fairly new cache, easy find)

Recently DISABLED: Elves been Workin' on The Trail Road (plundered)

All caches mentioned in this thread as good finds remain that way.

I'd write more but I am packing for my OWN vacation! Have fun while in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for all your help. I spent a good while reviewing the caches listed here last night and found it very helpful to have your input.

Does anyone want to take a shot at part 10 of my 20 part question -- what would be your favorite cache if we lifted the prohibition against multi-caches or long hikes?

Challenging multicaches in Pittsburgh, all will take you from 2 to 4 hours:

3 of the Leprechauns' multis:

The Elves Tree a Raccoon (airport area)

Eeny Meeny Miney Elves (airport area)

Elves in the Heights (across river from airport area)

One of the best multi's in the Pittsburgh area:

Heart Attack at Sunrise, by SlimJim28 and Tonsil (about 30 minutes east of downtown)

Honestly, you can chew up a whole day doing the caches in and around North Park, and another day in Frick Park/Schenley Park/downtown. Visitors report that a 2 rated terrain in Pittsburgh would be a 3 or 3.5 in their hometown.

I just went through a new multi-cache in North Park (north of pgh) that I found to be a lot of fun. Even the beginning point is quite clever. It's generally rolling terrain (no killer hills to climb) and is only a 1 1/2 hike (if I remember correctly). So take a look at South Ridge Cache if you go north of the city.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We did a very fast fly-in, fly-out weekend and had a wonderful time. It was so nice to be in cool weather, we were able to go much longer than we usually can. The hills were a bit challenging and we logged our first two "not found" logs and had a halfway not found on our last cache of the day where we had to leave with only about 5 minutes searching for fear of missing our flight out. We made it without about 10 minutes to spare.

We only did 15 caches, but our favorite two caches were probably Elves in the Forest and (Ladies and Gentlemen) The Bridge and the Groom. There were a number of other interesting ones and we tried to do some exploring of the city as well as caching, so we probably didn't do as many as we could have, but we had a great time.

Thanks for the suggestions here.

We may be passing thru the Burg in a few weekends. It'd be a great spot on our road trip to let the car's seat cushions decompress, if only for a short while. Know of any rest-stop caches along the nearby PA Turnpike? I've never done a rest stop cache ...

(One of these days, I will actually have TIME to cache for real in this fair city. I promise!)

Edited by MissJenn

If you're planning to place the temp in Monroeville, please feel free to contact me through the site. I will be happy to discuss appropriate locations. Unbelievably, I think I'm the only SWPA Geocacher that lives in Monroeville. I'll have a business trip in Columbus before the end of the year, but I doubt that I can get any caching in.

Sorry about that. I guess as a geocacher, I never look in the obvious spot. I'm always looking for hidden treasures...

Oh well...

TW, I just shot an email over.

It looks like Murrysville is fairly open. I'm hoping to get some of the guys from the company to take the cache on as a permenant cache. They're supposedly driving the boss's SUV around thew country trying to get as close to signs as possible and waypointing them with the built in GPS. So, if you see this happening and there are two scrawny geeks and a Russian guy, give them a hand.

Cheers!