Increase In Damages to Caches?

Upswing? We've seen it progress since '08 or so.

All but one of our simpler, low D/T hides had issues at times, and it seemed (to us) experienced, long-time pms rushing for numbers were as much at fault as the new kids using the free muggle app.

Our remaining higher-D/T hides had few or none.

- Kinda ruled out the app kids by D/T, and the folks in-a-hurry, who won't venture past the parking lot. :)

Upswing? We've seen it progress since '08 or so.

All but one of our simpler, low D/T hides had issues at times, and it seemed (to us) experienced, long-time pms rushing for numbers were as much at fault as the new kids using the free muggle app.

Our remaining higher-D/T hides had few or none.

- Kinda ruled out the app kids by D/T, and the folks in-a-hurry, who won't venture past the parking lot. :)

Yeah. My GeoArt series suffered from folks in a hurry not replacing properly, or moving one cache to the next location. My hiking caches suffer far less, well, except for bears chewing on them. Our first hidden cache has been out there for almost twelve years with no problems.

I am throwing this out there to see if anyone else has noticed an upswing in the number of caches they have hidden being damage? It's hard to prove, but based on cache logs between finds it almost appears that the damage is being perpetrated by cachers rather than muggles.

I had a look at your gnome cache. It sounds like the container is unique and special but fragile. I read one log that said it was hard to open. How are people damaging the cache by removing it? It looks like you have had to fix it several times. But the nice thing is you are able to get out to it and fix it. It may be worth the extra effort (monthly checks) to impress people with "a work of art". Or try a different container. From the sounds of it, it's a capsule. You might try a preform tube. They can withstand a lot of handling. Or if it doesn't have to be a capsule, perhaps an authentic Lock & Lock - not the knock-off dollar store kind, look for the Lock & Lock logo embossed on the lid. Kudos on trying to provide the geocaching community with a WOW experience.

I am throwing this out there to see if anyone else has noticed an upswing in the number of caches they have hidden being damage? It's hard to prove, but based on cache logs between finds it almost appears that the damage is being perpetrated by cachers rather than muggles.

I had a look at your gnome cache. It sounds like the container is unique and special but fragile. I read one log that said it was hard to open. How are people damaging the cache by removing it? It looks like you have had to fix it several times. But the nice thing is you are able to get out to it and fix it. It may be worth the extra effort (monthly checks) to impress people with "a work of art". Or try a different container. From the sounds of it, it's a capsule. You might try a preform tube. They can withstand a lot of handling. Or if it doesn't have to be a capsule, perhaps an authentic Lock & Lock - not the knock-off dollar store kind, look for the Lock & Lock logo embossed on the lid. Kudos on trying to provide the geocaching community with a WOW experience.

I have hidden two caches in the area of this cache that are similar in nature. I have found trees that have had branches that died and the branch had rotted away leaving openings in the trees. For this one I used a plastic container with a screw on lid. I wrapped the container in camo tape and I fasten a small piece of dead branch to the lid using screws and glue. When it is wet or freezing the fit of the container is tight. So I asked cachers if it is tight they can leave the container in place and unscrew the lid to access the the log. I am guessing they don't read the whole description and they try to force it breaking off the attached wood.

Last year a CO spent a lot of time making a gadget cache and someone destroyed it within an hour of it being published. I know that personally because my wife and I went looking for it within an hour of it being published and it was gone. When Geocaching in North Carolina there are some cachers that take pride in creating some out of the ordinary cache containers that blend in with their surroundings. That inspired me to try my hand at it only to see them trashed. It is frustrating. I have better things to do then run after disrespectful cachers and redo my hides. I haven't renewed my membership this year and I am not sure I want to.

There's actually someone in our area urinating in caches. Our sister-in-law told us they found one when she had taken her 3 boys out geocaching...each was taking a turn at each one, and the youngest found one like that. When we mentioned it at the class we attended to the veterans....they were aware of it, and they were trying to find out who was doing it. I'll never understand the mentality of people like this.

I have hidden two caches in the area of this cache that are similar in nature. I have found trees that have had branches that died and the branch had rotted away leaving openings in the trees. For this one I used a plastic container with a screw on lid. I wrapped the container in camo tape and I fasten a small piece of dead branch to the lid using screws and glue. When it is wet or freezing the fit of the container is tight. So I asked cachers if it is tight they can leave the container in place and unscrew the lid to access the the log. I am guessing they don't read the whole description and they try to force it breaking off the attached wood.

Last year a CO spent a lot of time making a gadget cache and someone destroyed it within an hour of it being published. I know that personally because my wife and I went looking for it within an hour of it being published and it was gone. When Geocaching in North Carolina there are some cachers that take pride in creating some out of the ordinary cache containers that blend in with their surroundings. That inspired me to try my hand at it only to see them trashed. It is frustrating. I have better things to do then run after disrespectful cachers and redo my hides. I haven't renewed my membership this year and I am not sure I want to.

The bottom line is a lot of people are klutzes and are not mechanically inclined nor clever...they are not disrespectful and try to be careful. If you hide a cache that is delicate in any way or clever in the way it comes apart etc. it is doomed to a short life that will be measured by how often it is found. If you hide one be sure its close to home because you'll be there a lot. I've pretty much given up hiding anything requiring dexterity on the part of the finder....nothing evil here its just the way it is.