Caches in geocache list; no icon for some on map

I ran into a issue with my new Montana 680 that I have not had before on any GPSr unit. I downloaded about 3800 caches into the unit then went out caching with a friend. Her Dakota showed caches by icons on the map that weren't showing up on the map on my GPSr along a trail that I had never been on. Thus, I knew that I hadn't found the caches. I looked at my list of geocaches and there they were. I would click on the cache in the list and the icon would show up on the map. That only happened to about an eighth to a tenth of the caches. It looked to me like I had all the caches showing up by icon as I looked at the map. They were traditional caches available to all. I would have missed a few caches on a trail that required a goodly walk had I not been with her. :( I wouldn't have wanted to walk the trail again for a few of missed caches. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to resolve the matter? Thanks

They were traditional caches. None were for premium members, though I am one. It was the first time it has happened, but I haven't done much caching with the Montana yet. I'm trying to make sure that issues I am having are largely cleared up once the snow is gone. It might be a one time anomoly. I'm hoping so.

I found about 20 caches the size of the ones that the icons didn't show up for until I went to the list and touched the cache listing. The missing ones, the same size and type of the ones I was finding, were intermittently missing. I had two icons for caches the next one would be missing, there would be four more icons the next one would be missing. I went to the listing of nearby geocaches. There the missing cache was in the GPSr. I would touch it, go back to the map and now the icon was there. Just was wondering if anyone had such experiences.

All of you started me thinking. I have the same database from GSAK loaded into my 62s because the last time I used my Montana before this past trip the Montana dumped out every last cache. There was a message on the screen saying no geocaches were found. Check out geocaching.com for more information on geocaching. They were there when I was 60 miles from home ( I had turned the Montana on to determine if I had time for a side trip then turned it off); gone when I was 100 miles from home. I decided right then that I would never depend totally on the Montana. After I loaded my Montana, I loaded my 62s. There they are. All the icons are on the map of the 62s. Go figure.

Edited by Aix sponsa

[...] After I loaded my Montana, I loaded my 62s. There they are. All the icons are on the map of the 62s. Go figure.

Yes. The 62 is filled with a gpx file. Though no ggz issues. :)

Try the following: Change the GSAK settings to Montana 600. Now GSAK exports a gpx file and you should be set.

Hans

Thanks! I will try that! I had forgotten about the dumping of all the caches by the Montana until working on this issue. Hopefully by changing to the Montana 600 setting all the issues will be solved.

But caution: The Montana's limit for geocaches exported with a gpx file is 12,000 geocaches.

Hans

Tried that. It didn't make any difference. The files that were already in the Montana have a .gpx extension so I figured that that is what I already was loading in it.I better keep an eye on my geocaching listing just in case.

Edited by Aix sponsa

Tried that. It didn't make any difference. The files that were already in the Montana have a .gpx extension so I figured that that is what I already was loading in it.I better keep an eye on my geocaching listing just in case.

Then you should check your Montana's geocaching filters again.

Hans

Edited by HHL

[...] The files that were already in the Montana have a .gpx extension so I figured that that is what I already was loading in it.[...]

That brings up my former asked question: Do you use GSAK for loading? And if so: Which method (there are severals) are you using? Also: How many caches do you want to export?

Hans

:blink: Thanks!!! Got it. Everyone's suggestions kept me digging deeper. I didn't have any filters set on the GPSr under Setup-Geocaching-Filter. It was automatically filtering the smalls out. Some caches that I thought were small were other so I thought some smalls were showing up on the map. I just set up a filter to filter absolutely nothing and all is working. Edited by Aix sponsa

I do use GSAK. I click on the upper task bar that has GPS-Send Waypoints on the down menu. I check to be sure it is set to Montana 650 because there isn't a Montana 680. The most geocacaches that I have loaded are about 3875 which was the last download. I am use to having a 5000 limit and keep it well under that.

It seems you are using an outdated GSAK version. Current version is 8.5.1.72.

b525aaced0495357b6d696c679e35a2b.png

Btw: You can do screenshots from your Montana: Setup>Display>Screenshot=on

Hans