Pocket Query download

capecodbuoys

Device is a Garmin etrex 20x, for reference.

I created a pocket query with caches in my area. I have a few questions:

1. I am presented with two separate files. One is significantly larger (roughly 5000KB) and the other is much smaller (only just over 100KB). I assume that "unzipping" is the first step?

2. Do I drag and drop these both onto my device AND do they go into the GPX folder or in another place?

3. Will these caches show when I select "geocaches" on my device? or will they be in another place?

4. Is there a way to rename them? They are a string of random numbers presently. I thought I selected something about keeping the name, lol. Wondering if the GPS is smarter than that. I imagine it may just show the caches in the area I am in?

I truly appreciate all the help and have my fingers crossed that all this will become second nature to me. LOL.

Thanks in advance from Cape Cod!!

1. I am presented with two separate files. One is significantly larger (roughly 5000KB) and the other is much smaller (only just over 100KB). I assume that "unzipping" is the first step?

Yes

2. Do I drag and drop these both onto my device AND do they go into the GPX folder or in another place?

Garmin/GPX/

3. Will these caches show when I select "geocaches" on my device? or will they be in another place?

They'll show in geocaches.

4. Is there a way to rename them? They are a string of random numbers presently. I thought I selected something about keeping the name, lol. Wondering if the GPS is smarter than that. I imagine it may just show the caches in the area I am in?

You could rename them but don't have to.

I never done this but suspect that the caches and WPs files might have to have the same "base" name i.e local.gpx and local-wpts.gpx

Yes. One of the two resulting GPX files contains the geocaches themselves, the other (the large one) all the additional waypoints.

They go into the GPX folder. You can use the one on the internal memory, but on an micro SD card is also accepted.

Geocaches show in the Geocaches list, additional waypoints will show in the Waypoint list. Both will also show on the map.

I think you refer to the GC codes of the caches. You unit is able to show the cache names: Setup --> Geocaches --> Presentation --> Show names.

Your unit shows geocaches in about 100~150 km radius.

So, it appears that I have done this download correctly to the unit. I am baffled now that many/most of the local caches that were within my pocket query (and are showing on the preview) are NOT showing on the device.

There are several local geocaches that I downloaded separately from the query results that show and then the nearest one within the query results is 40 miles away.

This is so confusing. I certainly hope that this technology piece makes more sense soon. :unsure:

Thanks for your patience with me.

[...] I am baffled now that many/most of the local caches that were within my pocket query (and are showing on the preview) are NOT showing on the device.[...]

Please check your geocache filters in your Garmin's current profile.

Hans

Yes. One of the two resulting GPX files contains the geocaches themselves, the other (the large one) all the additional waypoints.

To clarify, it's actually the other way around: the larger file contains the caches, and the smaller one the additional waypoints. The cache file has to contain all the different aspects of the cache including it's attributes (name, D/T, size, owner, etc.), the description, and the last 5 logs. Conversely, the additional waypoints consist of simply a name, coordinates, and sometimes a small comment, so it will always be much smaller.

[...] I am baffled now that many/most of the local caches that were within my pocket query (and are showing on the preview) are NOT showing on the device.[...]

Please check your geocache filters in your Garmin's current profile.

Hans

There are no filters set up. Hmmmm.

I think I will remove the pocket query results and then reload them onto the device to see if that helps.