Barriers to cache placement

Pest Watch

I found a perfect spot for a new cache on the weekend. Checked on the app that no one else had beaten me to it, came up clear. Back at my desk now I am trying to submit the cache and the map is coming up with that pesky red circle and telling me I can't place my cache because it's too close to another. I have a premium account and have searched high and low for this "other cache" but can't seem to find any evidence of it. Is there another way I can check if there is a cache there or is this perhaps old information in the system from a now defunct cache? I would love to place a cache here but I don't want it on top of someone else's. There is another cache down the road nearly 400m but that shouldn't affect where I want to place this one.

You don't have a premium account (unless you have more than one acocunt) in suspect you have the paid app. It could be PMO cache, puzzle cache, multi cache.

You could also run into a block when submitting for review if someone else has submitted a cache that hasnt yet been published in the area.

If you are indeed seeing the red circle you should be able to open up a map of the same area and view caches.

Since we don't really know where you're cache is, a reviewer would be the best person to ask.

Hidden waypoints (for multicaches and puzzles) and unpublished caches don't show up in the planning map as red circles. So, my best guess is a premium member only cache that doesn't show up with details in a smartphone app. You can see the name, distance and direction for it on the website, however.

I found a perfect spot for a new cache on the weekend. Checked on the app that no one else had beaten me to it, came up clear. Back at my desk now I am trying to submit the cache and the map is coming up with that pesky red circle and telling me I can't place my cache because it's too close to another. I have a premium account and have searched high and low for this "other cache" but can't seem to find any evidence of it. Is there another way I can check if there is a cache there or is this perhaps old information in the system from a now defunct cache? I would love to place a cache here but I don't want it on top of someone else's. There is another cache down the road nearly 400m but that shouldn't affect where I want to place this one.

The username you are posting under is not a premium account.

You already own 11 caches. You should be well-versed with the saturation guidelines, how to use the planning map, how to check for saturation, etc.

No, a "defunct" cache would not be showing up on the planning map.

It could be a Premium Member Only cache, or it could be a physical stage of a multicache or letterbox.

If you go to the website, and check the geocaching map, you should be able to see all the caches in the area.

B.

The planning map (with the red circles) doesn't have filters. It shows all publicly visible waypoints for published physical caches that haven't been archived.

If looking at the Geocaching map (the one with the filters), you would NOT want to have any filters set.