Using pocket queries with garmin etrex 10 and linux

Aren m

I am running Ubuntu Linux as my operating system. I would like to be able to use pocket queries with my Garmin Etrex 10 without the use of a computer with Windows. I can copy a .gpx file that contains one geocache to the location of my GPS, but when I copy a .gpx with multiple geocaches, usually a pocket query, it doesn't show up on my GPS. Is there a way I can make this work?

You are correct in amusing that the the GARMIN is the mounted device. The caches are in my area, some less than a mile away, I checked through the whole geocache page, which is quite short, and the chances aren't there. Could Linux be reformatting the .gpx files in a way that my GPS doesn't like?

Could Linux be reformatting the .gpx files in a way that my GPS doesn't like?

No, highly unlikely. The .gpx files are not binary; they use ordinary text and simple markup, like an HTML file would. You could open a .gpx file in a terminal or text editor and read everything that is in there.

Here are a few more possibilities, although they are shots in the dark.

1. Are the caches that don't show up on the Garmin ones that you have already found?

2. Or do you have a large number of .gpx files on the Garmin? It doesn't sound like it, but just checking.

3. Or is there some overlap, where you might have information on the same cache from different dates, e.g., one time it is by itself, and another time it is in a PQ you ran at a later date?

4. Or do you have a mix of .gpx and .loc files for geocaches?

5. Or did a hider go crazy with the fancy formatting on the cache page for one of the caches that won't show up?

Edited by msrubble

I just noticed that after copying the .gpx files unmounting my garmin and reconnecting the device the files disappear. I just tried using the gnome desktop with the nautilus file manager rather than the lxde desktop with the pcmanfm file manger and it worked!