Cache "GCMYWY" causing access problems to gc.com

totalube

Hi many people are having trouble when trying to access the cache page for this cache "GCMYWY"

Even typing the code into the search area on the home pages causes no access to the gc.com website, any of it.

We have noticed this problem with firefox, chrome and edge browsers. I have not tired Internet explorer yet, but I would guess it will do the same.

Firefox and Chrome can be fixed, but clearing all privacy data. The edge browser also works by clearing privacy data, but it takes much longer.

It doesn't appear to affect other websites.

Thanks.

Edited by totalube

It's not only that cache. I tried a couple of other GC Codes, and their pages also don't come up, at the moment.

Please put GC codes here. Groundspeak needs to look into what is causing these pages to become corrupt. The only feedback that I am getting at the moment is to clear cookies. That allows me to get back into non corrupt cache pages, but does not address what is causing the issue. The more they hear about corrupt pages, the more likely they are to do something about it.

It's not only that cache. I tried a couple of other GC Codes, and their pages also don't come up, at the moment.

Please put GC codes here. Groundspeak needs to look into what is causing these pages to become corrupt. The only feedback that I am getting at the moment is to clear cookies. That allows me to get back into non corrupt cache pages, but does not address what is causing the issue. The more they hear about corrupt pages, the more likely they are to do something about it.

The pages I tried except for the OP's page, seem to be loading most of the time now. They were timing out when I tried them, and they're all still a little iffy this evening. They were pretty much any page I tried.

The cache page mentioned in the OP is behaving strangely. I'll test something and be right back. :anicute:

I'm back. I wondered if there was some issue with quotation marks in the cache name. The one the OP mentions is GCMYWY Well I'll be "Dam"ed. I changed one of my caches to that exact name, no problem. My renamed cache page opens just fine.

There is something strange going on. Typing GCMYWY into Google causes IE11 to crash -- just searching that GC Code. I can't tell what's going on with that.

I tried a couple of other browsers. In Firefox, Google's pages of links come up, but clicking Google's link for GCMYWY causes the browser to just sit-n-spin. Similar with Chrome.

Enter the URL in Win 10 MS Edge, there's a Geocaching.com "500 - Server Error".

Even stranger, in most browsers the page loads if I am not logged in, when it won't load if I am.

Clearing the browser cache/temp files does not cause GCMYWY to load.

Edited by kunarion

I wonder if the issue might be related to these other threads:

Issue with event link

Loading Issue

That's likely, except that those seem to work now after a recent fix. There's still a bug loose.

Something on the listing of the cache page is causing problems for GS servers. Visit the corrupting page, and now you get a glitch in your web browser that causes any cache page to not load in your browser, til you clear "cookies". You can load such a page via an App or PQ. It's certainly a web server (browser) thing.

[EDIT]: I ran a PQ that includes the GCMYWY example strange glitch cache page. On the subject of Markdown in logs, the only thing I see in the five most recent logs (which is what I get in a PQ), is one place where two names are in both bold and italic and use an ampersand "&". The site doesn't like that ampersand and its markup, and "fixes" it for me if I try to make a log like that existing log. So I still can't tell for sure what the culprit is. But just that one place with bold/italic text seems to simultaneously have Markdown and HTML. Again, yeah, it may have nothing to do with anything. It was just the only thing I thought looked strange. I did a little test log just now on one of my caches, and I'd almost rule out that exact log from being the culprit.

FWIW, the log I saw is formatted something like this:

***Name & Name***

Edited by kunarion

With Firefox, i went ahead and tried to access GCMYWY using the search box on GC.com. Chose to go straight to the cache page but the page that came up showed it and all listings nearby. It did not go straight to the cache's page... I then tried clicking on the cache's link and got nowhere. Tried clicking on other caches in the list and didn't go anywhere. Couldn't get any cache pages to come up. Closed my browser.

Reopened the browser, without clearing cookies, and tried bringing up another cache. Worked fine. Then retried my search of GCMYWY, but this time clicked to bring it and all caches nearby. The resulting page showed the list just fine. Clicked the cache below the mentioned GC and it opened without problem. Backed out, clicked on GCMYWY and didn't go anywhere. Couldn't open any caches afterwards.

I'm not having to clear cookies but i am having to close the browser and start over to view caches.