How can I go about hiding these caches?

KatnissRue

I have a dilemma here. I love placing unique caches in areas that people will enjoy. Today, I hiked a portion of a reserve I had never been to before and found two amazing places for a cache. I have three problems: I don't want to take away hiding spots from other hiders, one of the hides may scare people, and I don't know how I would get people to want to go out to the other one.

I will start with the hide that may scare people. I found while hiking this old dumpster/feed trough like thing in the woods. It is sturdy, and from what I could gather after examining it closely is that it had no sharp corners or other dangers to the cacher. It kind of reminded me of a coffin, the way it has sunk into the soil, so I wanted to place a fake skull by/in it with a micro inside. I knew a realistic loking skull would scare unsuspecting muggles, so I thought of getting something like this: Skull

Do you think this would scare people?

The second hide I'd like to do would be one of my larger (if not largest hide ever). There is a place that is nearly in the middle of the reserve, but you can only get to it from one side as a river blocks the path four ways. I'd love to put a huge container out there because it's a gorgeous area and a challenge to get to, but I don't know if people would even want to come out there. Many have already found the micros that would be on the way there, and I fear it may only get one find every two years, when I want people to be able to go and enjoy the hide.

Here's the area for this hide: My link

Or heck, do you guys think the area is saturated enough as is and I should leave it alone? (You may want to factor in that I already own two puzzles out there)

Are these the kinds of caches you want to own and maintain for the long term? Are these the kinds of caches you want to be known for among the local geocaching community?

If so, then go ahead and hide them. It's okay if a cache is found only once every couple years. I know someone who got STF on a cache several years after the FTF.

As far as the fake skull being scary, I think calls to law enforcement are more of an issue than scaring geocachers. The more realistic it is, the more likely it is that someone will report it as a potential crime scene.

Are these the kinds of caches you want to own and maintain for the long term? Are these the kinds of caches you want to be known for among the local geocaching community?

If so, then go ahead and hide them. It's okay if a cache is found only once every couple years. I know someone who got STF on a cache several years after the FTF.

As far as the fake skull being scary, I think calls to law enforcement are more of an issue than scaring geocachers. The more realistic it is, the more likely it is that someone will report it as a potential crime scene.

I am willing to maintain them for many years to come, I just don't want to take away hiding places that others could use since I already have two out there.

Now to add to this, I have a letterbox that I may need to move over to the reserve as well.

I have a dilemma here. I love placing unique caches in areas that people will enjoy.
Thank you for THAT! A few more of those are always appreciated.

I have three problems: I don't want to take away hiding spots from other hiders, one of the hides may scare people, and I don't know how I would get people to want to go out to the other one.

. It's your spot that YOU think people will like. Don't feel like you're hurting anyone else by leaving a good cache anywhere!

. You'd be surprised how many favorite points a really well executed 'scary' cache will garner over time. Trust me, your caching friends won't hold it against you.

. Not knowing about the 2nd site, I'd say that a well executed cache at the 1st site is even MORE likely to gather finders for the 2nd.

Edited by ecanderson