Trackable Camera

Zaise

Hi All, I have a cheap action style camera I haven't used in almost a year and since it's worth about $15, I'm thinking of making it a trackable and making its mission for people to record themselves and upload it to something. Has anyone had any success with this type of idea? What are your opinions on it's chance of surviving more than a few moves?

Hello,

It does some an awesome idea. However, bear in mind that it is really hard for a trackable to last a long time nowadays. You must be willing to take the risk of eventually losing it.

Regarding the actual idea, it does look like something quite fun! I would understand that some people wouldn't feel secure taking pictures of themselves, but maybe pictures taken while geocaching! When you say "upload it to something", maybe you could specify that place. I'd recommend people to upload it to the trackable gallery.

Hi All, I have a cheap action style camera I haven't used in almost a year and since it's worth about $15, I'm thinking of making it a trackable and making its mission for people to record themselves and upload it to something. Has anyone had any success with this type of idea? What are your opinions on it's chance of surviving more than a few moves?

Of course you can make a TB out of your camera but besides the obvious (someone wanting it and just taking it) I for one would not use an "unknown source" to transfer data to my PC. If I were to find your camera TB I would discover it or move it along without taking pictures.

If you are lucky enough to see it travel, how long would the batteries last? Would you expect people to recharge (USB?) or change batteries?

In the early days of TBs a few were released with disposable cameras. Not sure how successful they were. In those days digital camera tech was rarer and expensive and mobile phone cameras while they existed were not easy to download pics from.

I agree - I'm not plugging media I don't know into my network. I might consider plugging it into someone elses!!? I'd be concerned about a trojan on the media or even an inappropriate photo!

Fairly common to release a TB that asks people to upload pictures of places it visits. People then tend to take a pic of the TB at a location...

I agree with others above, plugging something into my system is not something I would do.

On the other hand, I did see an interesting TB item that did encourage people to take pictures and post them on the log. I think I saw it a couple of years ago in one of the GC.com newsletters. The owner sent out a small, gold painted, ornate picture frame, and asked people to use it to frame their photos. Kind of a 'create your own painting' TB. It got some real interesting pictures.

Skye.