Garmin Oregon 600t

Steve@EX8

Hi. I have recently bought (since Christmas) a new Garmin Oregon 600t.

Whenever I go out geocaching I find that everything is great for about an hour or two then the unit start to play up. It starts freezing. Sometimes it will shut down even when I'm simply looking at the screen.

Today this happened several times whilst out. I found that I had to remove the batteries to enable it to restart. I had to do this a number of times which spoilt what started off to be a great day.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

It's a known problem. I think even Garmin knows about it but hasn't yet addressed it with firmware updates. Not sure what causes it because it's not consistent or predictable. But I can go weeks without a problem sometimes too. Seems to happen mostly when I try to do too much too quickly, but that's not always a cause.

It's a known problem. I think even Garmin knows about it but hasn't yet addressed it with firmware updates. Not sure what causes it because it's not consistent or predictable. But I can go weeks without a problem sometimes too. Seems to happen mostly when I try to do too much too quickly, but that's not always a cause.

Thanks for your reply.

It's concerning that it's possibly a known problem. I'll give Garmin a call and see if they have any plans to sort this out before I consider taking the unit back to the shop, after all it's not a cheap unit to have an intermittent problem with.

Regards.

I'd be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware (4.80) anyway. It may be coincidental, but my 600t seems to freeze less with every new firmware update and hasn't frozen once/yet on 4.80. I also load caches as GGZ files using GSAK, which also may help.

I've had freeze ups using GGZ files.

Most times when I have had an issue with my 600, it's been while viewing a cache description.

Other times it's been when entering the next set of coordinates when doing a multi.

I'm still running firmware 4.60.

I also had similar issues when viewing cache descriptions on my former GPSMAP 62s, so it's likely a common issue in shared firmware code.

I'm still on 4.40. If it's not broken don't fix it. There is the occasional crash but it's been a very long time that I had a problem now.

I also use GSAK to load caches (WPs as POI) with the Garminexport macro. I manually delete POI's and the previous GGZ file before loading a new one.

Curious if anyone who doesn't geocache has experienced the freezing problem as much as geocachers tend to. Freezing could be caused by bad markup in the cache descriptions in the gpx files... and it could affect the GPS even when not looking at geocaches.

then again, maybe the problem is with one of the maps I have installed?

Or the SD card.

I haven't really gone out without the SD card, no geocaches loaded, and only the stock map installed. Maybe I should and see if I still get problems.