School adventure

Mich5266

Hello!! I am VERY new to geocaching. As a teacher and a mom, I want to bring the adventure of geocaching to all my "kiddos". I was thinking of holding a geocaching field trip. But, being on school grounds, it would have to be a private event. Is this possible? Can I privately post geocaches? I want everyone to attend, but school security might not be happy with that! Lol. How FUN would it be to hide caches for my students!?!? In the principals office, cafeteria, playground :)

Thanks for your help!

Michelle

Geocaches and Geocaching Events must be accessible to all geocachers. The site will not list private caches or private events, so you would need to organize all that outside of Geocaching.com. Hopefully others will post tips on how to set up private caches and distribute the coordinates to the participants.

You may also wish to check out the Education section of this Forum. There are past discussions there on how to set up activities for school students. Good luck and have fun!

You won't be able to list caches and events on geocaching.com if they are private.

One option would be to hide caches around the school grounds and hand out printed sheets to your students with the cache co-ordinates and hints on, an "event" could be achieved by having sets of co-ordinates to meet at before and after the hunt.

Week #1 Have a couple of Geocaching pro's come in as guest speakers to talk about the game

Week #2 Have your class design a couple of geocaches, talk about environment (rain,snow cold etc), what makes a good/bad container, swag impact geocaching has on the environment etc

Week #3 *** Field trip *** Pick a location for both Geocaches (OFF SCHOOL PROPERTY), and hide them, talk about GPS, satellites, how weather trees etc affect signal.

Week#4 Create a basic membership call it something like Mrs XXX's Geoclass or something, and discuss what you should put in the descriptions of the cache listings. List the Caches. ** (Ask on the listing if cachers would put where they are from, make this optional) Geography lesson up!!

From there on in, every time the cache is found go to the site with your kids and show them, you could even have a competition to see what cache will get found the most.