Help with which gps to buy

anniik

Hoping someone can give me some insights into which gps to buy. i'm really clueless as to what i need, and what is best.

So which one would you buy: (these are roughly the same price and available to me now)

New dakota 20

New etrex 20x

Used gpsmap 62s (1 year of use)

Used oregon 450 (used since 2010)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by anniik

+1 to needing to decide if you want to go with buttons or touch screen. Good news on touch screen is that they're resistive type (not capactive), so even the close end of your pen can be used to poke in the information, and glare is less than more recent mirror smooth capactive models.

One of the advantages of all of the units you specify is the ability to create 'field notes' on site on the unit for later upload to gc.com when you post your finds. However, if you plan to make heavy use of this feature, touch screen entry can be much faster.

If still functional and without screen scratches, I wouldn't worry over new/used ... any of those units will be good performers. Oregon 450 screen is a bit better than the Dakota 20 and 450 will hold more caches, but otherwise fairly comparable.

Edited by ecanderson