New York/New Jersey Earth day clean up

Harrald

With all the talk about Earth day cleaning I’m wondering if anyone has decided on where they may go.

Since most garbage is within a quarter of a mile (that’s being generous. It’s more like 600 feet) of the parking lot I would rather not show up in an area that already has people cleaning. The Bardmin and I could make a dent in just about any area we would go to.

I was thinking about the Lake Skannatati area. N41 14.528 W74 06.106 There are three caches in that area that we’ve been to and it could use a good sprucing up.

Anyone else making plans?

Should we make a list?

Does anyone need any suggestions on where they could go and trash out?

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

I think everyone has missed my point. I'll try and be a bit clearer.

Since most garbage is close to the parking area there is no need for a group of cachers to attack any one spot. Two people could clean an area in a few hours of work.

I'm not looking for help in cleaning an area. The Bardmin and I will be able to make short work of the above mentioned.

Maybe going to a local trailhead or parking area alone or with a friend would be enough.

I know there are some places that would need a small army of cachers to clean the garbage out. But those places tend to be overused by the general public. Trying to clean them would only result in a cleaner area for people to dump junk in. The local vacant lot that everyone dumps trash in is not what I'm talking about. The local community needs to be involved to keep it trash free.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Harriman area, Ringwood state park and places like that. Places like that get the weekend groups an families that don't walk in more than a few hundred yards. After a quarter of a mile there's no more garbage and after a half of a mile most likely you're not going to see many people at all.

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

I got it now. Here's my list of areas that could use attention:

Federal Hill, near this cache..

Garret Mountain, near this cache.

Chikhoki Falls, near this cache.

I'd also suggest the areas around my Bottom of Lake Passaic II cache and etoast66's Beavertown cache, but I think they'd require an "earth year"

cleanup attended by every geocacher in the northeast.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12853 could definately benifit from a cleanup. It's under Route 1 at the Lowe's theater. People must toss things out of their car while driving over the bridge; it's probably a party place, too.

----------

_Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him._

That on is near me. I plan on going there once the weather gets better.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Instead of Not Really hard, (which is under the route 1 bridge and is somewhat a homeless encampment), Wrestling Roots would probably benifit more since it's in the far corner of a popular park.

As well, I would like to nominate our Bicentennial Multi.

We've been looking at Federal Hill for a while, and this would give us a great excuse to stop by Bat Country again.

Any thoughts on a way to turn this into a Event Cache? Maybe a Locationless icon_wink.gif Take a picture of yourself luggin' out a bag of trash and your GPS, and you get to log a find. icon_smile.gif