Protected Natural Areas and Sites

RakeInTheCache is incorrect in his assumption that the Public Access Lands category is focused on hiking and exploring. Nowhere in the category does it state that.

This is slighty bizarre. I read in the category description that it clearly states in order to hike and explore! And I swear 'm not smoking any illicit substances. :lol:

Edited by RakeInTheCache

Maybe we should create category for nature reserves only? There would be no overlapping issue then.

As for nature monuments, I've written the leader of Exceptional Trees, if there's any way to waymark natural monuments without providing detailed measurements, since they are usually not publicly available, or are quite hard to access.

Just a dumb question, but if I wished to waymark a Nature Reserve exactly what/where would I waymark? A entrance/information sign or just any area in the Nature Reserve? :unsure:

On the main picture, the information sign stating that it's nature reserve should be visible. Logically, the posted coordinates should be those of the picture. This is at least my opinion.

For nature reserves, that have no visible information sign, we should find out something else. If you can prove it's nature reserve and it's actually on the picture, I think you should be able to waymark it.

Just a dumb question, but if I wished to waymark a Nature Reserve exactly what/where would I waymark? A entrance/information sign or just any area in the Nature Reserve? :unsure:

On the main picture, the information sign stating that it's nature reserve should be visible. Logically, the posted coordinates should be those of the picture. This is at least my opinion.

For nature reserves, that have no visible information sign, we should find out something else. If you can prove it's nature reserve and it's actually on the picture, I think you should be able to waymark it.

Okay, another dumb question. What is the difference of a nature reserve and State and National Parks, those are nature reserves too aren't they? :unsure:

Okay, another dumb question. What is the difference of a nature reserve and State and National Parks, those are nature reserves too aren't they? :unsure:

No, National Parks can usually be explored on dense network of trails, while Nature Reserves are very strict, usually access is forbidden. And they are 2 completely different legal forms.

No, National Parks can usually be explored on dense network of trails, while Nature Reserves are very strict, usually access is forbidden. And they are 2 completely different legal forms.

When I research Nature Reserves in Virginia it appears hiking is allowed.

I was surprised to receive a response from the leader of the Public Access Lands category and he stated he's been inactive in Waymarking for the past two years and unable to give attention to the category that it deserves. He's receptive to promoting me as an officer with category-editing capabilities so that I can potentially expand and fine-tune the category to make it more understandable for others to submit Waymarks into. I'd even be receptive to promote RakeInTheCache as an officer into the category for assistance in merging some of his ideas he had for his proposed category into Public Access Lands.

I was surprised to receive a response from the leader of the Public Access Lands category and he stated he's been inactive in Waymarking for the past two years and unable to give attention to the category that it deserves. He's receptive to promoting me as an officer with category-editing capabilities so that I can potentially expand and fine-tune the category to make it more understandable for others to submit Waymarks into. I'd even be receptive to promote RakeInTheCache as an officer into the category for assistance in merging some of his ideas he had for his proposed category into Public Access Lands.

Congratulations? Would you answer my priv? (I'm not sure, but I think I've written you) about the protected areas and that category?

As currently stated, I can't see how Public Access Lands could host nature reserves, but after some edits, I can imagine it would be possible, on the premises, the area around nature reserve is accessible and the opportunity is granted to learn what's inside.

Why would we waymark a place where access is forbidden?

Why? Ask the leaders of Town Clock category, for example. Usually climbing on or going inside town clocks is forbidden, it still makes sense for many people to waymark and 'visit' them.

Your answer is not relevant. You can enjoy a clock and tower without entering as they are clearly visible. How do you enjoy a visit to a nature area that you can not enter?

It is bad form to use other categories to "justify" your category, if your category can't stand on its own then don't try to raise questions about a category that has around for nearly 10 years.

Edited by BruceS

I think there is a misconception about what is called a nature reserve in many European countries. They are usually much smaller than parks. You can often have a complete overview of the area from the border. Larger ones often have trails through the area, but some are so small that the creation of a simple trail would destroy the integrity of the protected zone. It is not that you stand at the border and can only guess that there might be something nice far away behind the fence; you see it.

OK, I have category editing capabilities in the Public Access Lands category and am eager to tweak some of the category verbiage to make it read better as well as include some additional info that could help make this category more inclusive.

A few issues I've discovered off the bat:

1) I don't like the 'hike' mention in the quick description so I've deleted that word.

2) I feel that since there is a category for U.S. Wildlife Refuges, the Public Access Lands category shouldn't allow these in the category. Any wildlife refuge or any refuge for that matter elsewhere in the world that doesn't qualify for any existing category could be submitted into the Public Access Lands category.

The one BIG issue I have with the category is the fact that it allows Waymarking of National and State Forests. This creates a possibility of dozens or more waymark submissions from many access points in a public access area of a forest or state park. I would propose limiting the Waymark submissions to access points that are publicly-accessible friendly (like a parking lot for a trailhead, or vista point, sightseeing point) vs. finding some random spot in a forest and Waymarking it.

It's a start, but welcoming other suggestions!

I like the section 'or to be educated'. It's exactly the reason why people visit nature reserves or other protected zones, even if they are not allowed to enter them.

Actually, I see one problem with nature reserves. Some of them are smaller than 1 ha. For example, I was going to waymark Rezerwat "Owczary", which is the protection zone for halophyte plants around salt queue, but it's only 0,61 ha.

Edited by GeoLog81