Finding out who owns property you wish to hide a cache on.

Matt_B_Good

Many times it is easy, you know who owns a particular property. However this is not always so easy. Is there an easy way to figure out who owns any particular property?

Most if not all counties/municipalities will have some way to keep track. Most likely in the form of maps, but they may be land descriptions. Might be free, might be a small prossesing fee or whatever. For example my county has maps, with land ownership and lease information, usually used by hunters for $20. Stop at your town hall and ask.

In the US, most county government offices are online, and they offer their info online as well.

I routinely query county Property Appraiser's site for ownership. Most of them have online maps with property boundaries, and it's possible to pan, zoom and then click any piece and get the tax and ownership info.

Occasionally there will be no info on County (or State or Federal) land, as it is not taxed!

What office will have that info varies from one area to another. I just looked at your most recent cache (sad end to that one...) and found that it was in Lincoln County WI. A search got me to this page, and I'd expect to be able to identify ownership of any property in the county from here

http://www.co.lincoln.wi.us/services/r/?service=304e80148bc4

Generally you need to disable Pop-up blockers on these sites; typically the info on a property query will come in a Pop up box.

I've done so much of this that I recognize the common software packages. Some of them are not especially intuitive... understatement ;-) ..