Oregon 650

FireBoxRazor

Ok so I went off for my first adventure at the weekend. I used a downloaded gps route.

I found a big issue with it.

I set off on my route.. which made me cross a main road.. all good until i got to the other side and walked 40 foot. Gps loses the route.. so I set it again to be told on screen.

Error this route cannot be completed as no roads are available offroad. And that's it. I could not get the route back up. This terrifies me, what if im up in the tops and it does this

again I will be utterly lost... Can somebody do a video on the uses, and settings of this gps because again I am still fed up with it. The gps was set to NOT lock to roads.

And it was set to recreational and set to hiking mode.

2nd : Geocache mode.

I have tried EVERY setting under the sun. It makes you walk miles down foot paths when you can walk 50 yards directly to it. I want the compass to show as the crow flies, it is set to shortest distance.. it makes me walk in a large circle

to come back to where am standing... again any help?

:(

No checked it. Route to road is off.

In Setup/Routing, there are two settings to check. “Activity” should be set to “Direct Routing”, and “Lock On Road” should be “No”. These would be set that way by default in the Geocaching Profile, and the Recreational Profile.

It would be good if you'd mention how your GPSr knows about foot paths to route on. Did you load specialized maps?

I never made a video of settings, but I've done a ton of customizations to suit:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=332560&view=findpost&p=5510336

Especially if you have routable street maps, it can be handy to set up entire Profiles, and switch between Profiles as desired. Profiles likely can be shared among specific Garmin models. So my custom Profiles on my Oregon 650 should work on yours, but I've never tested such a thing. Move a couple icons or whatever to personalize it, and enjoy. In theory. :anicute:

You could even post your Profiles online, and people could analyze them. It's only a matter of changing a stray setting or two (then later, customizing the menus and dashboards as mentioned).

Anyway, if your Profiles have become hopelessly set to uselessness, Garmin will provide clean copies.

Edited by kunarion

You mentioned using a downloaded route. Did you actually download and navigate using a Route file, or were you referring to downloading a series of waypoints or geocaches? Routes are built in conjunction with a specific map with roads and/or trails that are routable. If your downloaded route refers to roads or tracks that are not on your particular map, or if your map is not routable, the route may fail.

Having your GPS set for Direct Routing and with Lock on Roads off, your GPS should point you directly to your waypoint or geocache using a straight line, with no regard for anything in between you and your target. It will do that regardless of which map you have loaded. There should be no directions to circle you around, etc.