Caching in Union County, NJ Parks

ThatRoyGuy

Has anyone looked into guidelines for hiding caches in Union County (NJ) parks? I was thinking of placing some in parks that don't yet have caches, but don't know about the county's policies, if any. Nothing on the county's web site. I'm a little hesitant to contact the parks commission and call attention to ourselves -- on the other hand I know it's the right thing to do. Any more experienced geocachers out there care to provide some guidance?

[This message was edited by ThatRoyGuy on July 24, 2002 at 06:14 PM.]

You know the old saying...

It's easier to ask for forgiviness then it is to ask for permission.

There are plenty of caches out there in Union County parks (one of mine, included) and I havent heard of any negative reactions, at least.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Yep, though many may disagree, if there is no stated policy against placing caches in an area, I'll not hesitate to place one there without asking permission.

Judging from what I've seen in these forums, most land managers are inflexible and unimaginative and as soon as you mention hiding caches, you'll get a knee-jerk no.

I just place 'em, mark them well (all my caches have my name, hometown and e-mail address). If someone does have a problem with the presence of one of my caches, they will receive an apology from me and I'll remove it.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

NO! That is the wrong approach and attitude to take with geocaching!!

Get to know the local park ranger, explain geocaching and the benefits, cache in - trash out.

Thats it is a low impact sport, and brings more visitors to the area.

We just had a victory with the state and parks in our area. Check out this topic!

Pennsylvania State Park Caches - Permission Contact Info

We do not want to be the bad guys here!! Paul

Just like Nike says, man. Get to know the Park Rangers in Union County? That's a good one. That reminds me of the time I went to the Westfield Police to ask them if I could fly my model airplane at Tamaques Park. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. I pretty much figured I should have kept my mouth shut and just did it.....the same applies to geocaching. My advice would be to just use common sense when finding a good spot in a Union County Park--and then go for it! Lord knows there are PLENTY of caches already in Union County Parks!!!

"This is a call to all my past resignations--it's been too long"--Dave Grohl