If you can't praise a cache to high heaven. . .

I think it's more than reasonable to ask a cache owner to remove a travel bug that's no longer there.

Then we disagree.

When I hide a cache, I do not agree to take on the responsibility for other people's property that they choose to have put into it. The TB owner is the owner of the TB and has the responsibility for it. If they can't manage it, then they should give it to someone who can. It is not my problem, as CO, to be the nanny for their property.

I think it's more than reasonable to ask a cache owner to remove a travel bug that's no longer there.

Then we disagree.

When I hide a cache, I do not agree to take on the responsibility for other people's property that they choose to have put into it. The TB owner is the owner of the TB and has the responsibility for it. If they can't manage it, then they should give it to someone who can. It is not my problem, as CO, to be the nanny for their property.

How hard is it to mark it missing?

Really...it's one thing to take some principled stand, but it seems rather silly when it's the work of about thirty seconds to clear it out of your cache's inventory.

Then we disagree.

In English, "Ask" does not mean the same as "Expect," but you seem to want to make them to. It is more than reasonable to ask a CO to mark trackabkles as missing. It is not reasonable to expect all CO's to always do so when asked, but then justintim1999 never said that.

Then we disagree.

In English, "Ask" does not mean the same as "Expect," but you seem to want to make them to. It is more than reasonable to ask a CO to mark trackabkles as missing. It is not reasonable to expect all CO's to always do so when asked, but then justintim1999 never said that.

If the owner can or will not mark their travel bug as missing I don't see any other way to remove it from the cache inventory. You could let it sit there forever but to me that's not keeping with the spirit of the game. I'm referring to those people who enjoy finding and moving travel bugs. Again, there is nothing that says that a cache owner has to do this, I just choose to. Those that don't are well within there right not to.

This sub-topic (can/should COs mark trackables missing) always get polarized views.

As I stated before, I do it not for the benefit of the trackable owner, but for the benefit of other finders, and to keep my page as accurate as I can. I know I can't guarantee it to be 100% accurate, but I will do what I can. I don't want to see a trackable which I know hasn't been in my cache for months showing as being in my cache.

If other owners don't care, or refuse to do this on principle, that is their right. But for those COs who do, thank you, I think it is a good thing to do.

This sub-topic (can/should COs mark trackables missing) always get polarized views.

As I stated before, I do it not for the benefit of the trackable owner, but for the benefit of other finders, and to keep my page as accurate as I can. I know I can't guarantee it to be 100% accurate, but I will do what I can. I don't want to see a trackable which I know hasn't been in my cache for months showing as being in my cache.

If other owners don't care, or refuse to do this on principle, that is their right. But for those COs who do, thank you, I think it is a good thing to do.

I'm with ya. I think if we subscribed the "the golden rule" we could eliminate much of the everyday problems with the game. We'd also eliminate the need for many of the posts on this forum.

How can they confirm the TB's not in your cache?

Besides, you're not managing the TB, you're managing the inventory section of your cache description.

Unless the cache is local to the TB owner, of course the TB owner can't easily physically check. But most of the time that is not needed. If I see multiple logs on one of my TBs saying it is not in the cache, I'll mark it missing, because most likely it is. Same as I do for a TB in my cache.

I agree with the second part 100%. Ideally, both the TB owner and CO owner should care.

Unless the cache is local to the TB owner, of course the TB owner can't easily physically check. But most of the time that is not needed. If I see multiple logs on one of my TBs saying it is not in the cache, I'll mark it missing, because most likely it is. Same as I do for a TB in my cache.

Yes, obvious the TB owner can do that in areas where people habitually report missing TBs, but the CO can look and confirm that the TB physically isn't in the cache.

After all, if we trusted seekers' reports, we'd let them mark the TB missing.

Well, this thread seems to have devolved into TB maintenance, but

GeoArt...

My brother in law dared me to put out a GeoArt series. Yes. I realize that many cachers on the forum dislike GeoArt... Oh, well.

Yes. Most of the hides are the same.

Yes. The views are spectacular. Different views of Manhattan from the Hudson River Walkway.

The twenty-four puzzles are very different, ranging from 1* to 5*. Few cachers seem to have actually solved the 5*.

About eight miles round trip, along the walkway, and back along the highway atop the Palisades. Great for walking or bicycling.

Quite a bit of work went into making the puzzles distinctive, and the viewpoints great.

7ae1f97d-506a-404f-8e74-61994e6bb45a.jpg

An interesting place for a cache hide???

(Well, that one does get better logs...) But, for the most part, what we get is cut and paste lags...

Found during this too short but enjoyable business trip in NYC.

This great series was the objective of our trip.

We have had solved all the 24 mysteries before leaving home. Some of them more easily than other ones.

We already have had in contact with the "tactics" used in those puzzles, and one by one, we solved a lot of them.

But for the last ones, we needed a little bit help from someone better than us in the specialties we didn´t know so well.

We enjoyed our walk along the Hudson River. The view on NYC is great and we didn´t known this part of NJ

We found 22 of the 24 boxes and it was a great and sunny afternoon.

Thanks Harry Dolphin & Andy Bear to set up this series.

TFTC

Nice log. But the same log for all caches found. And that seems to be most of what we get: Cut and paste. Of course, the other caches in the area seem to get the same cut and paste. That seems to be very common these days: Find more than three caches? They all get the came cut and paste... Unfortunately, that's the modern world. But that's the best they can do?

If I were closer, I might rethink this series. If we got better logs, I might rethink this series. But this is my caching partner's area. He has struggled long and hard his entire life, but he is in his final battle.

If cut and paste is all cachers can do, then to perdition with this series.

I will bring up that TBs are missing in a log. If it's just one or two, I usually just put a gentle reminder in my log that COs have the power to mark them missing, in case they didn't know. If it's a pile of them, they've all been gone for years, and other cachers have pointed out that they are missing, I will usually add a specific request to the CO to mark them missing.

Why don't you send notes the the TB owners, since it is actually their job?

If I got a note like that from you, I would ignore it.

I think you missed the part where I said this was (a) only for caches with TBs that had a pile of TBs that had been missing for years and (B) an additional measure to my leaving close to 900 notes on the individual TBs.

I would not leave such a log on most caches.

I would, and did, leave it on caches like one I logged recently that had been missing two tbs since 2011 and had more than one other log stating such:

Didn't see either of the two listed trackables in the cache, might be time to mark them missing.
Edited by hzoi

Nice log. But the same log for all caches found. And that seems to be most of what we get: Cut and paste.

I went and looked at some of the caches in the series. I was unable to find any logs (in my admittedly short scan) that were not cut-and-paste.

What a shame. They look like really fun puzzles. You'd think that finders could at least leave something interesting about the process of solving the puzzle, even if they couldn't think of anything unique about each location.

The forum has often had threads about short logs; to my mind, those are better than long cut-and-paste logs that don't contain any unique information, because they are at least quick to read.

On the other hand, perhaps leaving a series (as geoart does) carries an unspoken implication that cut-and-paste logs are acceptable? I refuse to do them, but that's just my stubbornness and my desire not to receive that kind of log on my own caches. But I seem to be nearly the only one.

On the TB maintenance issue, I have been geocaching since 2002 and didn't know that the CO could mark a TB missing until reading this thread. I have dozens of active caches, almost 100 including my now-archived ones, and have never received a request to remove a trackable from my cache description. I'm with fizzy about it not being the job of the CO to do. Most of my caches are micros now, although I have some regulars and smalls. I've seen many logs mentioning that a trackable is missing on others' caches, and possibly even on my own, but always assumed it was just for the information of future finders, not the CO. For caches large enough to have an inventory, I list the initial inventory at the time of hiding, but make clear that is at the time of hiding. After that I don't pay any attention to inventory, whether swag or trackables, but I may replace a missing pencil, and, of course, log book or sheet.