Geocaching under fire AGAIN!

Davros

Today I received a letter from the Department of natural resources. It seems now that Geocaching may be banned within the Maryland Park System if simple guidlines are not followed.

---

Below is the letter I received from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

Dear Randy:

I have just been notified that there is still a problem with

individuals continuing to leave geo-caches, within Maryland state park

lands, without notifying park managers or anyone in the park service. Also,

the use of unacceptable containers continues to be a problem.

I know that you understand our concern for public safety, especially

with post 9-11 heightened security, because in response to our previous

conversation two months ago, you posted appropriate instructions for how

users should approach placing geo-caching sites on www.geocaching.com. Is

there a way to get the word out again? I know that it is impossible for you

to control the actions of everyone participating in the sport, but if we

continue to have problems our park personnel may determine to entirely ban

all geo-caching activities within state parks.

Hopefully the word will get out so that the actions of a few do not

ruin the fun for others who follow the rules for placing caches.

Thank you for your understanding. Charlie

P.S.--- If you need to contact Rusty Ruszin or I, we can be reached through

the main headquarters number at 410-260-8186. Thanks again.

---

What are the simple guidelines or instructions?

Check with the Park Office, send a written proposal or request (address provided below), BEFORE you place the cache and Inform them exactly what you are doing and why.

(I will investigate the possibility of sending requests online)

State Forest and Park Service

ATTN: Rusty Ruszin

Tawes State Office Building E-3

580 Taylor Avenue

Annapolis, Maryland 21401

Show them the cache (include a photo) and provide them with exact details of the location where you plan to hide it.

DO NOT USE AMMO CANS, or any other Military looking container that may look threatening to a person who happens upon the cache without knowing what it is, or why it is there. Instead use a Tupperware type container or something else that does not look threatening. If possible a transparent container of some sort is best.

Clearly mark the container as to what it is. Include a visible email address where you can be reached. If possible shrink the stash note to fit on a small card without removing any details of the containers purpose. So that it can be taped on the cover or elsewhere clearly visible on the cache to the unsuspecting person. Place an additional stash note inside including your REAL NAME, an email address where you can be reached, and a phone number if possible.

DO NOT place your cache in plain view! Try your best to conceal the cache to minimize the chances of a non-participant spotting the cache which may promote worry, theft, or vandalism. Also, you should try to hide the cache off of the beaten path by a few yards. This allows the cache hunters privacy from peering eyes while signing in, as well as limiting the chance of suspicion from a passer-by.

Be sure to carry some sort of documentation such as the Geocache's detail sheet. If a person spots you logging-in or searching and approaches, you can at least explain what you are doing and show them some sort of valid documentation about Geocaching. Offer to allow them to keep the print out so they can investigate the game when they get the chance. Encourage their participation!

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

mdgps11.gif

Sounds to me like they are more than willing to let us continue caching if we follow a few simple rules. Maybe this letter should be posted on the main geocaching page under some sort of "suggestions for a succesful cache" heading. I would hate to see caching banned because people didn't see this and not everyone reads the forums.

They need to know. That's all there is to it. The communication gap is their worry, just as it is our's. The responsible cacher that reads the forums and tries to stay on top of things is not the type any of us worries about. But the forums can atest to these worries popping up everywhere. In order to be a responsible geocacher communication is the key. OK You are the search engine... but... look what that industry has learned...everyone can search... but how can you do it right.

I've recently come upon two milestones in my permissions phase of the game. First I have permission from one landowner management and plant my cache... a couple of weeks later another group plants a cache within the same park lands after finding mine as their first find. Do I approach the cache owner and just nonchalantly ask them if they want the contact info to make it legit... or am assuming too much...they are a hiking group that regularly does group hikes up on this ridge. Do they already know the land manager or did they find out about it from him or the caretakers that gave me the managers email addie? Then too I'd like to ask the manager if I can share his addie with other's that might want to contact him... make it public in the forums or something... but I don't want to become a snoop and insider...before I know it you'll be calling me ranger icon_wink.gif

The other milestone is asking for permission in a park that you know already has an existing one. I don't want to spotlight this cache if it's not gone through the channels. This is a state park not more than 10 miles from my home. I've planted 12 caches so far but the only cache I've planted there has been a traveler that didn't hang for more than a few days. I've been in the works exploring and planning there. In the fall I had gotten close to having a plan in the park and one day after hiking stopped at the parks ranger station, somewhat confused by all the flashing lights up the street, to ask permission. It turns out the day I was going to ask for permission they were pulling the body of a hiker out of the woods that disappeared a month previous while nighttime hiking alone...fell in a mineshaft that are scattered throughout this park... more details to it than that but I won't go into it now. I didn't think it was the time for asking for permissions for a new and on the edge kinda sport.

That was in the fall and now it's spring so I was getting closer...decided it was time and printed up a letter.. the geocaching faq.. and a few cache pages of management cooperative caches I've placed. Printed this stuff all up and got waylaid on the day I was going to stop... a week went by and wouldn't you know it someone placed one in the area I'd been exploring...the first cache in the park. Great cache and did the area more justice than I had found to give it. This park is 10,050 acres... there's plenty of other spots... but do I give away the other cacher if they've not sought permission. I'm kinda wierd on the whole thing now, though I do know that I don't want the parks people to consider me the enemy.....where am I being responsible and when does it become butting in? Do I contact the cachers first and warn them I'm about to turn them in or do I give them the chance to step up if that's their choice? seems like extorsion.

I've gotta get the communication in gear here again and I'm not quite sure what came first... the chicken or the egg? As I said around here geocaching is a brand new thing for these parks personel so in that way I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity to precede bad experiences.

Communication is what makes this game work. We've gotta learn to communicate more clearly all the way around....any words of wisdom?

They need to know. That's all there is to it. The communication gap is their worry, just as it is our's. The responsible cacher that reads the forums and tries to stay on top of things is not the type any of us worries about. But the forums can atest to these worries popping up everywhere. In order to be a responsible geocacher communication is the key. OK You are the search engine... but... look what that industry has learned...everyone can search... but how can you do it right.

I've recently come upon two milestones in my permissions phase of the game. First I have permission from one landowner management and plant my cache... a couple of weeks later another group plants a cache within the same park lands after finding mine as their first find. Do I approach the cache owner and just nonchalantly ask them if they want the contact info to make it legit... or am assuming too much...they are a hiking group that regularly does group hikes up on this ridge. Do they already know the land manager or did they find out about it from him or the caretakers that gave me the managers email addie? Then too I'd like to ask the manager if I can share his addie with other's that might want to contact him... make it public in the forums or something... but I don't want to become a snoop and insider...before I know it you'll be calling me ranger icon_wink.gif

The other milestone is asking for permission in a park that you know already has an existing one. I don't want to spotlight this cache if it's not gone through the channels. This is a state park not more than 10 miles from my home. I've planted 12 caches so far but the only cache I've planted there has been a traveler that didn't hang for more than a few days. I've been in the works exploring and planning there. In the fall I had gotten close to having a plan in the park and one day after hiking stopped at the parks ranger station, somewhat confused by all the flashing lights up the street, to ask permission. It turns out the day I was going to ask for permission they were pulling the body of a hiker out of the woods that disappeared a month previous while nighttime hiking alone...fell in a mineshaft that are scattered throughout this park... more details to it than that but I won't go into it now. I didn't think it was the time for asking for permissions for a new and on the edge kinda sport.

That was in the fall and now it's spring so I was getting closer...decided it was time and printed up a letter.. the geocaching faq.. and a few cache pages of management cooperative caches I've placed. Printed this stuff all up and got waylaid on the day I was going to stop... a week went by and wouldn't you know it someone placed one in the area I'd been exploring...the first cache in the park. Great cache and did the area more justice than I had found to give it. This park is 10,050 acres... there's plenty of other spots... but do I give away the other cacher if they've not sought permission. I'm kinda wierd on the whole thing now, though I do know that I don't want the parks people to consider me the enemy.....where am I being responsible and when does it become butting in? Do I contact the cachers first and warn them I'm about to turn them in or do I give them the chance to step up if that's their choice? seems like extorsion.

I've gotta get the communication in gear here again and I'm not quite sure what came first... the chicken or the egg? As I said around here geocaching is a brand new thing for these parks personel so in that way I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity to precede bad experiences.

Communication is what makes this game work. We've gotta learn to communicate more clearly all the way around....any words of wisdom?

man, they are way nice.

if i were you and trying to really get the word out there i would type of somesort of letter explaing what they want and save it and then email to every local cache placer, cache finder, and other ppls that are interested in geocaching. have you placed the message in the regional forums? and perhaps you could attach the letter to any cache you've placed in the area, that way ppl that are looking at finding caches in the area they will probly read the notice, and hopefully go with it. icon_biggrin.gif

whack.gif

man, they are way nice.

if i were you and trying to really get the word out there i would type of somesort of letter explaing what they want and save it and then email to every local cache placer, cache finder, and other ppls that are interested in geocaching. have you placed the message in the regional forums? and perhaps you could attach the letter to any cache you've placed in the area, that way ppl that are looking at finding caches in the area they will probly read the notice, and hopefully go with it. icon_biggrin.gif

whack.gif