Good Northern Virginia Park to Hide Cache?

donbadabon

Ok,

I am taking the plunge, and have my first cache already to place, but I am having a problem deciding where to put it. Being fairly new to the parks around Fairfax, I don't want to rush into it, and have actually spent a week researching parks and other sites that could help.

There is 1 thing I am using as a criteria - 1)I do not want to place in a park that has no real parking areas - I personally hate parking in residential areas to look for a cache.

Burke Lake would be great, but it already has 10.

Any suggestions on a good park that fits the 1 requirement?

Like maybe a park where you've always wondered why there is no cache there?

Its not easy finding a good, uncached area. It takes some research and luck. Check topo maps at www.topozone.com and satellite photos at www.lostoutdoors.com. Look for little pockets of green on the topozone maps, then check the area on the sat photos for development.

You find a place, then drive there to make sure it's public land. If it is, scout it, then return with your cache. Even in NJ, as dense as the caches are here, I've been able to find new areas to place caches using this method. Little, unknown parks...maybe 100, 200, and as many as a thousand acres (in one case over 2 thousand), tucked away and unnoticed by the general public.

Also read the paper and look for news about land acquisitions. You may read a story about a 300 acre farm, or 400 acre mountaintop that was saved for development. You can then be the first one there with a cache.

Finally, keep your eyes open while driving. If you see a large wooded area, swamp, or meadow mark a waypoint as you drive by. When you get home check it out on Topozone, or even a road map, to see if it's parkland.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 19, 2003 at 05:19 AM.]

Speaking of maps... I'm sure your local day hike groups publish maps to the trail heads. In NY I've found these maps most usefull in finding good cache locations. They have been very helpful in figuring where to and where not to park.

Drive Fast, Take Chances. -- Jon Bedford

South Run is a good option.

Fairfax County has a lot of stream valley parks that are potentially good spots. Since they are zoned as a flood plain they can't be developed. Check a topo map for any of the major runs or streams that feed into the Potomac River. Pohick, Accotink, South Run all come to mind.

Also here's a new park that may be worth a look.

Hope this helps some.

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

I am really starting to like this park.

So I hid a smaller decon box on the opposite corner of the first one. This was so someone, if they wanted, could have room to hide a third in between these two. Especially around where the dirt path meets the paved one. That would make a nice hike around the park.

Actually there is a third cache already in the park. Not many have found it, and don't ask me too many questions, cause I'm not giving it away.

If I was goint to hide another cache in the park I'd do it on the other side of the park, SE from your second one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.

-Ambrose Bierce, writer (1842-1914)