Multi Cache Event

Team Apollo

The Scouts in my area are in desperate need of a trailer to assist them with camping since my son and I are involved ( they told me it was only one hour a week yea right). We read about geocaching and are now hooked. We thought of having a fundraiser by having a multi cache event at the state park nearby. We figured we ask around the geocache community if the scouts set the event would the geocache community pay a small fee for a great day of fun and awesome doorprizes. + food and great fellowship with each other. The idea we had was to set up sevaral courses with a time limit find as many as you can, the event would be held in April or May of 2003 icon_biggrin.gif

Question: Where would the event be held? I would attend if it were within 75 miles or so of Pittsburgh. I'm an Eagle Scout from a few years back! There's no better cause to support.

Note: In all likelihood, you won't be able to publish your caches for the event on geocaching.com because of the fundraising nature. Doesn't matter how worthy the cause is.... the "powers that be" don't want to be in a position of judging which causes are and which ones aren't. (For example, someone might object to listing the event because of various policies followed by the Boy Scouts.) There are lots of discussion threads on that subject.

Note 2: If you'll be holding the event in a state park, you'll need to work closely with the park managers, given the sensitivity to geocaching. See the thread in this forum about PA State Park caching policies.

Good luck with planning your event!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

I was a Scout when i was a kid and i am now a leader for my son. But i must agree with you i have read the articles that go with this from several sources and agree with the Scout and his family. Being a Scout in my belief is in you not in your religious beliefs. But i still feel its a great program.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Apollo:

Being a Scout in my belief is in you not in your religious beliefs. But i still feel its a great program.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I cannot reconsile the dichotimy between these two sentences. You believe that religion doesn't have anything to do with being a scout, but you support a scouting organization that ostracizes individuals because of religion. I don't understand.

I realize that there is no viable alternative; The BSA pretty much has a monopoly on scouting. If you truly believe that religion doesn't have much to do with scouting, please encourage atheists and polytheists to join your troop.

Lovecacher

Joe - I respect your opinion (note my earlier post, I was sure there would be people like you who would object on philosophical grounds).

But I think that the thread's subject is about Apollo trying to find a way to buy a trailer to haul tents and sleeping bags, not about solving the world's religious tolerance problems.

If Apollo does not use the resources of the geocaching website when running his event (as I noted above), then those who differ with the organization ought not care.

Oh well, too bad that Reading is on the other side of the state, or else I'd help out or at least attend.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?