Is it update time and to what?

Okay, call me old, but at least I am trying something new, Geocaching and having a ball. Only problem is the GPS is a Magellan 310 and leaves me anywhere but near the spot. It has to be 15 years old and used for marking fishing spots in it's youth. Unfortunately caches do not respond to berley! I have looked through the posts and read everything, but I need some help in updating. I want a good unit that is not going to break the bank and is easy to use and available in Australia. After all, the old one is leaving me anywhere between 50 to 100 metres elsewhere, which makes finding a small cache difficult!

Cheers

The Magellan GPS310 is indeed 14 years old (using the issuance date), but it should still deliver you to where you want to go.

According to the manual (p. 26), it does not appear that the unit will accept the coordinate format used (normally) by geocachers, which is Degree-Decimal Minutes. Your selections seem to be only Degree-Minutes, Degree-Minutes-Seconds or UTM.

You can, if you so desire, have the cache page provide you with Degree-Minutes-Seconds or UTM by selecting the Other Conversions link directly beneath the coordinates displayed on that cache page.

That being said, most any current generation GPSr unit will accept the coordinate format used by geocaching.com (Degree-Decimal Minutes), and they are usually set by default that way from the factory. Stick with the well-known and used brands... in your neck of the woods, Garmin or Magellan.

Here is a link to the 310 manual, if you don't have one: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000016938.pdf