Magellan communicator

jrdoubleh

I searched the forums for an answer to this but I can't find anything. If someone can "link" me to a previously asked question and answer that would be great. I have a magellan explorist 500. After trying all day yesterday to get magellan communicator to recognize my device I finally gave up. I then found out this morning that magellan communicator does not support this device. I really would like to be able to send cache locations directly to my gps not have to put them in by hand. Is there anyone who knows another way? Am I screwed? This frustrates me to no end. I am somewhat computer savy so if you have some long drawn out process I am willing to try. Thank you

The only thing that Communicator does is to place a downloaded .GPX file in a predefined folder on your device. You can certainly do that manually.

I don't know the 500 personally, but most GPSr's, including Magellan's, are treated as USB-attached storage devices when you plug them in. Magellan typically has a folder called "Geocaches" and another called "Waypoints". (Don't have it in front of me, so they may not be called EXACTLY that - maybe it's "Geocache" instead of "Geocaches".)

If you're trying to download a single cache at a time, press the "GPX" button next to the "Send to my GPS" button. Manually drop the resulting GPX file in the Geocache folder on your GPSr.

If you do a PQ, you can just manually put the resulting GPX file into the Geocaches folder and the WPT file into the Waypoints folder through Windows Explorer or Command Prompt (or a similar MAC utility if that's your flavor). Then, disconnect, reboot and you should be good to go.

If the 500 supports "Field Notes", then they get stored in a file called "\Geocaches\Newcaches.txt" or something like that. Open it in notepad and you can figure it out if the website's "FieldNotes" function doesn't work for you. Should, tho.

Bottom line is, the Communicator program is just a quick shortcut for downloading a single cache at a time - but it's nothing you can't do without.

------------------------------------------

Edited because I type too fast and don't spell-check.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

Thank you both. One last question. I have to be a premium member to access the GPX file correct? I was a premium member until my last GPS quit working. My problem is that I don't want to reactivate my membership if I'm still going to be without a GPS to use it with!!! The GPX file button next to the send to my gps does not allow me to click it. But it also says that I need to be a premium member to use the send to my gps button as well but it does give me the option to click that- but then again magellan communicator does not support my particular GPS. I did have a nice conversation with magellan live chat this morning who confirmed that he thought I would have to manually enter all the caches :(. I don't have patience for that. I just don't know if I should get the premium membership with the hope that my gps WILL allow me to drag and drop files (which theoretically it should?) Or if I should just quit being frugal and buy a brand new GPS that is compatible. UGH

If you reinstate your premium membership you can run a PQ then just save the results to your GPS without having to fight Magellan's Communicator.

Hopefully I am not putting a curse on myself when I say that I have had absolutely no issues with doing it this way with my Magellan!