We use 'em, let's fix 'em

briansnat

I know most of us Geocachers enjoy a good hike. Ever wonder who made that trail that you used to get to the cache? Did you ever admire the well kept footpath, clear of overgrowth and downed trees? Well in the NY/NJ area, trails are built and maintained by NY/NJ Trail Conference volunteers. We are now looking for additional volunteer maintainers for area trails.

Maintainers are assigned a section of trail and required to make a minimum of two visits a year to make sure the trail is in good shape. Sometimes it's hard work, but mostly it's just a nice hike with a set of clippers in your hand.

And some maintainers have been known to place a cache or two on "thier" trail icon_wink.gif .

Contact www.nynjtc.org to volunteer, or for more info

i use their maps and trails and books all the time. unfortuately i dont know anything about the tasks they are performing. can people make teams so new folks can learn? or could we tag along as an assistant or helper; something along those lines?

SR and dboggny. my mother in law rides a broom!

The NYNJTC assigns trail sections to individuals, families, clubs, civic organizations, etc... The cheif responsibility of a maintainer is to keep the trail open. The most widely used tool are loppers, used to cut down overhanging branches and encroaching brush. Sometimes a bow saw is required to cut a small tree that may have fallen accross a trail. Larger trees that require a chainsaw are reported to the TC office, who will then send out a crew of people to take care of it.

Other duties are painting, or refreshing the blazes on trees and erosion control (installing waterbars and check dams).

The TC runs occassional workshops for new maintainers and they also issue a detailed trail maintenance manual, so you can get right to work on your trail.

For those who want to try it out, or get involved

without having the responsibility of your own section of trail, you can join one of the trail crews. They meet on a regularly scheduled basis and generally take care of the heavier work like trail building and relocation, building bridges, steps, and erosion control.

To join a trail crew, all you have to do is call the leader and show up. Most trail crews post thier schedule on the NYNJTC website

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller