What IS a "Dastardly" Cache?

I'm still pretty new to this whole geocaching thing, and I'm trying to learn the lingo. In New York City, where I've done most of my caching to date, I keep seeing references to this or that cache being "Dastardly". The only thing I've been able to suss out so far is that all "Dastardly" caches are puzzle/mystery caches. BUT it appears that not all puzzle caches are dastardly. Having found a few of the "Dastardlies", I do know that they are not the same as an evil cache.

So.....here are my questions.

1) What makes a puzzle cache a "Dastardly" cache?

2) Is this a NYC thing? Though I've not cached in many places outside of NYC, I have checked out a bunch of puzzle caches around the country and internationally, but have not noticed any of them being called "Dastardly".

Yes, "dastardly" is pretty much a New York City thing. I think the term was made up by addisonbr in connection with an event cache with a puzzle-solving theme. To be "dastardly", the puzzle has to be in Manhattan, not at the posted coords and involve a reasonable significant intellectual challenge to solve. Once qualified, the cache would be added to a public bookmark list. addisonbr made some pathtags, and they were awarded to cachers who found certain numbers of caches on the bookmark list.

The guy organizing it has virtually left the game, to the term "dastardly" is largely historical now...

das·tard·ly

ˈdastərdlē/

adjectivedatedhumorous

wicked and cruel.

"pirates and their dastardly deeds"

synonyms: wicked, evil, heinous, villainous, diabolical, fiendish, barbarous, cruel, black, dark, rotten, vile, monstrous, abominable, despicable, degenerate, sordid; More

Google works great.