Favorite Mystery Puzzle

CacheMule

Hi, I've recently started getting into puzzles and so I would like to hear from everyone on what their all time favorite mystery was and why.
The ones that come to mind have been multi-stage puzzle caches, providing a team of geocachers with a few hours of adventure. The one I consider my favorite of the group has been archived, but was a multi-stage puzzle night cache that combined an assortment of techniques: stages that used retro-reflective trail markers, stages that required UV lights to see clues written with fluorescent paint/markers, stages that required climbing, stages that required crawling, stages that required solving a physical puzzle, stages that provided parts required to solve the physical puzzle, stages that required lowering a clue with a pully system, etc., etc., etc.

My favourite is probably h4ck3r - though I've done others which are close runners-up.

What I liked:

- A number of interesting "at home" stages; with a final at home stage which was particularly challenging.

- Field stages (including field puzzles) which fit the theme and were fun.

- Beautiful and challenging (but not impossible) terrain.

My favourite is probably h4ck3r - though I've done others which are close runners-up.

That's a good one that's sitting on my solved list that I'll probably never get the opportunity to find given the distances involved :(

One that I'll never forget is Commitment - partly because of the sheer amount of effort and tangential thinking required to finally solve it - it's a monster!

I tend to enjoy puzzles which encourage continued motivation and application via regular Eureka! moments along the way - which this one does.

Hi, I've recently started getting into puzzles and so I would like to hear from everyone on what their all time favorite mystery was and why.

CacheMule

No contest: The Key to the Cryptonomicon fair warning. It took me over a month to solve and from what I've read that's fairly typical and a lot of people have worked on it far longer than that.

I also liked: Lorem Ipsum difficult, but elegant and it will make you think about how information can be transferred from one format to another in a new way. What really made it fun was that before the FTF was found (I was second after the first group found it together and it's 300+ miles away) the CO would answer yes/no questions posted as notes in the cache logs as a way to provide hints to everyone that was attempting to solve it.

Both of these are 5* difficulty.

Although sudoku based puzzles are way overdone, this one has a really interesting twist: Barcelona Sudoku

CacheMule

By far a BIG favorite in the Austin Tx Area is Necropolis of Brittania Manor by Richard Garriott. It's worth the trip to Austin to solve this puzzle cache!

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2B034_necropolis-of-britannia-manor-iii?guid=0bd88942-31d9-4ecb-b230-2ef84af70b11

For me, the best puzzles involve multiple waypoints and GPS capabilities.

I recently really enjoyed this one called Capone's Cash.

Combines a fairly simple puzzle, multiple waypoints, and a terrific final hiding spot.

There's all of the caches hidden by this guy, which are listed as multis but are just so much more than that. On top of being a bit tricky to solve, his caches are usually hidden deep in the woods.

CacheMule

By far a BIG favorite in the Austin Tx Area is Necropolis of Brittania Manor by Richard Garriott. It's worth the trip to Austin to solve this puzzle cache!

http://www.geocachin...30-2ef84af70b11

Dang. I was in Austin for a conference in August and totally forgot that Brittania Manor was in the area. However, it looks like it's outside of the city proper and I didn't have a car.

Dang. I was in Austin for a conference in August and totally forgot that Brittania Manor was in the area. However, it looks like it's outside of the city proper and I didn't have a car.

the possibilities were endless here, in Austin. you wouldn't be the first foreigner to ever be toted around town for that cache (or several others). i've heard of at least one person that seems to make it a yearly event (coming to Austin and having someone drive him around to all the different caches).

if you know in advance you are traveling somewhere, consider an event (either as host or attendee). i know i've met locals that way who were more than eager to help show off the better side of the caches in the area.

the possibilities were endless here, in Austin. you wouldn't be the first foreigner to ever be toted around town for that cache (or several others). i've heard of at least one person that seems to make it a yearly event (coming to Austin and having someone drive him around to all the different caches).

if you know in advance you are traveling somewhere, consider an event (either as host or attendee). i know i've met locals that way who were more than eager to help show off the better side of the caches in the area.

When I travel it's usually for business and often I don't have a lot of time for geocaching. In that case I was able to do a little before the conference, but I kept pretty busy the next couple of days and left before the conference was over to catch a bus to San Antonio, stayed overnight, then flew to Costa Rica for several days of meetings. My total haul for the two week trip was 8 finds. I've only attended a couple of events while traveling and both of them were the same day (one was a WWFM event) in Zurich, Switzerland. I was almost able to attend a WWFM event the following year in Ethiopia but I was on a plane from Istanbul when it occurred. I think the creator of the event was the only person that posted an attended log.