Negative attributes

-CJ-

'Tree climbing' is in category Equipment, so some expect it to mean 'tree climbing equipment required' (although I've seen someone climb a 20m tree stem without branches equipped with two slings). To some 'No tree climbing'-Equipment might also be a cache in in 10m height, but on a tree that has brances where you climb up without equipment. Most people take it as 'you don't have to climb a tree'. If Tree climbing where in category conditions (like may require swimming, may require wading or 'difficult climbing') it would be clear that it means 'no climbing up a tree at all'.

Yes, when you set the attribute "Tree Climbing" shows under "equipment". But when the attribute shows on the cache page it says "no tree climbing required". I would be disappointed (annoyed) to find a cache which has the attribute "no tree climbing required" but required climbing a tree (without equipment).

You are right though this is unclear. Either the attribute should be changed to be "(no) tree climbing equipment required", or should be moved to the conditions section.

AbandonedBuilding-no.gif

- It's a picture of a ruined house crossed with the red line.

- No translation is provided for a tooltip. Google translates this in Russian as "refused structure". Not much helpful.

- Back to the icon. What does it mean?

- Maybe it means there are no ruined houses nearby. It's a safety warning. Low chance for falling bricks or remains of window glass, pretty safe.

- Maybe there's a ruined house nearby but the cache is not there.

- Maybe there is some restricted area around a ruined house and/or a construction site. Access is denied (red line) and so my walk to the GZ may be longer.

- Maybe there's a structure that may look ruined but is actually inhabited so I should mind muggles and/or additional threats like being robbed. (Why, switch your imagination on :) ).

- Maybe it's like with "no nice view" attribute: the icon is supposed to lower expectations of those who love examining ruins. Sorry guys, nothing of this sort to explore around here.

Maybe it's just an indication that you need to pay more attention to relevant details elsewhere on the cache page - or simply factor the presence of the attribute into your observations on the way to and at GZ - with an associated but relatively unspecified contextual icon?

*Edit to add quote that somehow got lost on original post.

Edited by Team Microdot

Then there is the question of whether or not cachers pay much attention to attributes. I suspect most don't except in rare cases. Personally I can't recall the last time or if ever that I looked at them.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever used them when looking for a cache. Use them for hiding one, but that's it.

Edited by GrateBear

AbandonedBuilding-no.gif

- It's a picture of a ruined house crossed with the red line.

- No translation is provided for a tooltip. Google translates this in Russian as "refused structure". Not much helpful.

- Back to the icon. What does it mean?

- Maybe it means there are no ruined houses nearby. It's a safety warning. Low chance for falling bricks or remains of window glass, pretty safe.

- Maybe there's a ruined house nearby but the cache is not there.

- Maybe there is some restricted area around a ruined house and/or a construction site. Access is denied (red line) and so my walk to the GZ may be longer.

- Maybe there's a structure that may look ruined but is actually inhabited so I should mind muggles and/or additional threats like being robbed. (Why, switch your imagination on :) ).

- Maybe it's like with "no nice view" attribute: the icon is supposed to lower expectations of those who love examining ruins. Sorry guys, nothing of this sort to explore around here.

Obviously it means "don't ruin the house."

AbandonedBuilding-no.gif

Not any of the following:

"Dangerous building, safety hazard, no entry" "No Trespassing, (former) military restriceted area, considerable danger from abandoned (underground) buildings and munition" on signs you can see in logs at many lost place caches. Examples are from a cache (now archived) that was presented in geocaching.com Presents video http://www.geocaching.com/blog/2011/07/geocaching-com-presents-lost-places-germany/ and certainly show only areas far from any stage. ;)

Premium Member Only often seems to stress that all parts of highly praised Lost-Place-Multis can be visited without doubts whether access is permitted and of course everything is placed with permission. ;)