Country, State and Province

Misha

Last night I was entering 18 new hides and that got me thinking why does the website not know what country, and state or province my coordinate falls inside of! It shouldn't be all that difficult to get a generic political boundary map and only ask where the cache is in when it is too close to a border, like maybe 1 km or a thousand yards.

Thanks

Misha LeBlanc, CTech Geomatics

I think it's less for the actual location, and more for location as in search results or reviewer territory- if I enter it as Alberta, or Texas, I suspect somewhere on that cache page on the secret internet language that info will be there.

What happens if you enter the wrong location? If i enter a location on the other side of the country will it appear on that reviewer's que? I think if someone can do that successfully and something different happens, we'll find out the answer...

Edited by T.D.M.22

We used to do that, but the geocoder we used marked items with states/provinces/countries that did not match our somewhat custom breakdown of regions and led to a lot of problems for reviewers in these areas, as T.D.M.22 has indicated. Still, this is a frequently raised request and one that the team is looking at addressing.

We used to do that, but the geocoder we used marked items with states/provinces/countries that did not match our somewhat custom breakdown of regions and led to a lot of problems for reviewers in these areas, as T.D.M.22 has indicated. Still, this is a frequently raised request and one that the team is looking at addressing.

But couldn't you in the meantime return to allowing at least some default setting for country and state/province?

The new submission site is so incredibly slow already for entering a single cache (even if one only enters the essentials and

does everything else then during the edit process).