Creating a pocket query for caching on a cruise

rassilon256

In a week I'm going on a cruise around a few islands in the South Pacific. I don't know if I'll get a chance but I wanted to try and pick up some caches on the way. However, I can't make a query to fit.

I've tried to just map the route. It doesn't work, probably because the "Find caches along a route" function assumes you'll travel on roads, not water. Plus it only takes into account start and finish points, so I can't map the cruise as such. Also, it doesn't seem to recognise Vanuatu or New Caledonia as places on the map, and just shows me Seattle.

I've also tried to choose a single point (Erromango, one of Vanuatu's islands) and then use it's coordinates as a central point to search a wide circle around. I got the lat/long from this site, then used this site to convert them to GPS (I couldn't find instructions on how to do it myself, if you have some please let me know). All the results from that are around 2500km too far west.

I'm failing pretty epically here, so all help much appreciated. I really don't want to have to download 65+ GPXs individually onto my GPS.

Edited by rassilon256

You can create a pocket query from the Geocaching.com map.

See if this works for you. I chose a mid Pacific Island, went to the Geocaching.com map, zoomed out til I had the Pacific but not the South America or Australia coasts.

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=-16.04859&lng=-145.64218#?ll=-16.04859,-145.64218&z=5

If you zoom out further, you start catching the continental coasts. That may work, if you limit your query to say 100 caches. Though I don't know how far north/south your cruise will take you. 100 caches may start getting you continental caches, while omitting island caches further north or south.

Or do a couple of smaller radius map centered queries. The "create pocket query from map" option is at the bottom of the left side bar on a map page, you may have to scroll for it. Also on a map page to make the side bar go away, so you can really see the map center, click the small arrow in the green marge line between the map and the sidebar.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

You can create a pocket query from the Geocaching.com map.

See if this works for you. I chose a mid Pacific Island, went to the Geocaching.com map, zoomed out til I had the Pacific but not the South America or Australia coasts.

https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=-16.04859&lng=-145.64218#?ll=-16.04859,-145.64218&z=5

If you zoom out further, you start catching the continental coasts. That may work, if you limit your query to say 100 caches. Though I don't know how far north/south your cruise will take you. 100 caches may start getting you continental caches, while omitting island caches further north or south.

Or do a couple of smaller radius map centered queries. The "create pocket query from map" option is at the bottom of the left side bar on a map page, you may have to scroll for it. Also on a map page to make the side bar go away, so you can really see the map center, click the small arrow in the green marge line between the map and the sidebar.

We do this on a regular basis with islands within the Great Lakes. Have ONLY the island on the map screen and you get just those caches. You can zoom in/zoom out accordingly.