Help with the Headquarters Geocache tour please...

beaniejunkie

Ok so admittedly I am a relative newbie to the geocaching world. With just a little under 400 caches to my name I am still in my geocaching infancy as it were. And, as such, I have not yet mastered (ok really haven't even tried) the puzzle or multi-part type of cache. I just am not that smart to figure it out on my own. Now here is my problem. I am going to visit my grandchildren and children who just so happen to live near the Center of the Known Universe (also known as Fremont street in Seattle and coincidentally where our Geocaching Headquarters resides) in a few weeks. I really, really want to do the geo-tour set up around the HQs area. But, to my horror, I have found that it contains two multi-part and two puzzle caches. I am too much of a newbie to conquer these on my own. HELP PLEASE. Anyone who might be able to teach me how to do these things? Or maybe just send me the instructions for the final coordinates on the multi-parts? Any hints, helps, comments etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for rescuing the newbie in dire need:}

It is very bad form to ask for the solutions to puzzle caches and multicaches in the forums, so let's stay away from that. Instead, bearing in mind that this is the "How do I?" forum, let's focus on coaching the OP for the skills needed to find the following types of caches:

1. Field puzzles (there are two on the GeoTour).

2. Multicaches using simple substitution into mathematical formulas (there's one of those in the GeoTour).

3. A "library cache" multicache (there's one of those in the GeoTour).

I was there in June and the caches there aren't hard. The multi takes you to two waypoints where there are signs. Answer questions based on the signs and you get the final coordinates, about 600m away if I remember correctly.

One puzzle is dead easy. Just go to GZ and look at the ground. There are two possibilities - I got it on the second try.

The Golgafrinchian Phone one is slightly more difficult, but if you read the clue all should become clear. This one you can solve before leaving home.

Good luck and enjoy the visit

Edited by Gill & Tony

My suggestion would be to take your family along and do it as a group. If you send them links to the cache pages ahead of time, they could get an idea what's involved. Chances are, if you run out of ideas on how to solve something, there will be others in the group with some fresh ideas. Plus it's a great way to introduce your grandchildren (assuming their old enough) to the game. What kid doesn't love a treasure hunt! B)

I recommend that you find a few puzzle and/or multi-caches at home first, using the same device/app you're planning to use at HQ. There are certain logistics involved in producing coordinates, entering them into your device/app, and navigating to the location. It shouldn't be too difficult, but it's best to work out such things beforehand on your own, not with a group of others watching you fumble, waiting for you so they can continue with the adventure you promised. BTDT.

And it looks like others have offered tips specific to these caches, but here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago) that I've posted before:

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Venona's ACTIVITY Overviews: 2011, 2012, and 2013.