Help weather proofing my TB

Andronicus

I am trying to make a "original can of beans" travel bug. I scanned a lable from a Heinz Original Beans can, resized it, then printed it on my colour ink jet, finaly put it on a plastic kids toy can from my kids play kitchen.

Here is the issue... I suspect that over time, as it sits in damp geocaches, the ink is going to run. I thought of laminating it, but I think that would make the paper too stiff, making it difficult to keep attached to the can.

Any suggestions?

PS, it looks like this

heinz3.jpg

I know that the real original can of beans was actualy blackeyed peas, but we dont have those in our supermarkest up here in Calgary...

Edited by Andronicus
I suspect that over time, as it sits in damp geocaches, the ink is going to run. I thought of laminating it, but I think that would make the paper too stiff, making it difficult to keep attached to the can.

There's an assortment of art sealing sprays in craft stores. Also, there's clear coating spray in the paint section of hardware stores. Matte or glossy. Glue the print to the can with a waterproof adhesive, go nuts with as many coats of clear spray as you think are suitable.

You may also start with rite-in-the-rain paper and laser print the label. You'd have paper that doesn't fall apart when wet. But clear-coat it anyway.

Edited by kunarion

Look up "inket decal paper". I bought a pack of that, but haven't tried it (it's kind of expensive just to play with :anicute:). Where the decal will go, paint that white. Then print the decal, coat it as instructed, soak, and slide the decal onto the object, and let it dry. Additional clear-coats can't hurt. You might print the decal in sections, if fitting it around a plastic can.

And now for Something Completely Different:

Print the label to fit inside a plastic tube, seal the ends (or fill it entirely with resin or sealer):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/163755250/5pcs-10mm-both-ends-open-acrylic?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=glass-jewelry-pendant-low&ione_adtype=pla&ione_creative=54907061075&ione_product_id=163755250&ione_product_partition_id=89330047235&ione_store_code=&ione_device=c&ione_product_channel=online&ione_merchant_id=101333789&ione_product_country=US&ione_product_language=en&gclid=CjwKEAiAj-KiBRC48YzhnLSg0D0SJAClOhK3BybGXqwnW2ArogJ_j08yVaDOo3bKvLVmpZyqC9f-9xoCvqnw_wcB

That's just a photo for reference. You may find plastic tube material, cut it to size, and find some kind of cap or disc that looks like the top & bottom of a bean can.

Edited by kunarion

What you really need to do is buy a vinyl sticker with your art printed onto it. I did this in the past to make movie props. It costs $5 to $15 if I recall, as the charge for just creating one sticker is much higher than getting them in bulk quantities. Search the web for 'vinyl sticker' until you find somewhere that will let you do a one off print at a custom size.