GSAK and Garmin Oregon 650

gailbook

We've just bought a Garmin Oregon 650 and are ready to do our first pocket query. Do I download GSAK and then set up the PQs on geocaching.com and then upload to my GPS? Sorry but I'm information overload right now. In reading about creating PQs I wasn't aware I needed anything else and then some information popped up about GSAK. Still a bit new at this and any help is appreciated.

You don't need any go-between program at all!

GSAK is great for managing status as well as special searches, loadings, etc. It does many things -- but is completely unnecessary to load to your GPSr.

Run PQ and download it;

Plug GPSr into computer and locate it as an external drive;

Drag 'n drop the downloaded GPX file(s) to the unit;

[PC] Eject (right click mouse, select Eject), unplug the unit and go out geocaching.

Need more? This tutorial is very good: http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/default.shtml . Select Paperless Caching in the red banner and follow the Garmin directions.

Thank you. In the back of my mind that was my initial thought but then I saw something about the GSAK. Love the helpful nature of the geocache community.

While you don't -need- GSAK, it is a very useful tool. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is worth the trouble. There is a free trial period so you can try it out. The price is reasonable.

Cache Happy