[BUt/Feature?] Distance/Direction No Longer Part of Email Notifications

Corfman Clan

When the Email notifications were revamped, the distance and direction was removed from the notification. Distance and direction are very useful to have and should be added back.

Didn't catch that when the change was made. That makes notifications - a premium feature - rather useless for the FTF crowd.

It is in new cache notifications, just not the others. For example, those generated for "Needs Maintenance," "Needs Archived," "Disabled", etc.

When the Email notifications were revamped, the distance and direction was removed from the notification. Distance and direction are very useful to have and should be added back.

Didn't catch that when the change was made. That makes notifications - a premium feature - rather useless for the FTF crowd.

It is in new cache notifications, just not the others. For example, those generated for "Needs Maintenance," "Needs Archived," "Disabled", etc.

Well in that case the FTF group is still covered. I don't generally find I need a reminder of where the last cache I posted a NM/NA log was :)

I am still getting that info:

885491b8-718b-4dc2-bfbf-f2ae28872999.png

It is available with the new cache notifications, but not for any of the "log" notifications.

I also noticed I have distance and direction on new cache notification.

What other caches are you speaking of?

If, "Needs Archived", Needs Maintenance", or "Disabled" notifications are the issue, aren't they your own or one on a watch list?

Don't you already know where they are?

I also noticed I have distance and direction on new cache notification.

What other caches are you speaking of?

If, "Needs Archived", Needs Maintenance", or "Disabled" notifications are the issue, aren't they your own or one on a watch list?

Don't you already know where they are?

No, these are not notifications of my logs or logs on my caches, they're notifications of other peoples logs. I have notifications set up for when somebody archives a cache, or disables it, or enables it, or reports a cache needs maintenance, etc.

Edited by Corfman Clan

I am still getting that info:

885491b8-718b-4dc2-bfbf-f2ae28872999.png

It is available with the new cache notifications, but not for any of the "log" notifications.

That's what I noticed as well. I don't care so much for "found it logs (on my own caches or caches on my watch list) but for enabled logs it could be useful. For new cache notifications, the first thing I look at is the distance and typically delete anything that's over 10 miles away. My search radius for new cache notifications is set at 50 miles, and even in peak season I still typically only get a dozen or so email messages a week.

I appreciate that the Groundspeak Lackeys are always working hard to: fix stuff, improve stuff, implement new stuff, come up with ideas and otherwise try to improve upon the experience that is Geocaching. I mean absolutely no disrespect to them with what I am about to say about the recent site changes, but I would like to add my voice to the masses on this issue (and the issue of HTML emails in general).

As a CO with quite a few caches in a cache-saturated town, I rely on 'distance from home' information in the email notifications I receive for local cache archival(s). These notifications help me inventory the potential spaces available (along with what I already know about the puzzles and multis we've completed). Those distance notifications really make a big difference in my ability to mentally index the caching world around me.

But, this is but one of many other side effects of a MUCH larger issue: the modification of the emails from 'plain text' to HTML. An extremely heinous change in the eyes of many (most?) cachers. The changes have caused so very many glitchy email issues - from missing information to truncated messages with broken images, etc... I mean, really ... the code wasn't even ready (or so it appears) - so why take it live? I really don't believe that most cachers want HTML emails. If they do want them, then it's truly only because they are disinterested in efficiency. Pure technological efficiency dictates that plain text is superior for the purpose of sending TEXT over an EMAIL. Pretty simple basic technology 101 there. So who is it that wants some pointy-clicky GUI on their email messages? Or is it to generate web-traffic from all the embedded hyperlinks? I'm not being snarky - really! I'm confident any extra traffic generated via the various embedded hyperlinks WILL ABSOLUTELY improve their internet statistics including boosting their internet sales of related products! I'm serious. It is a FACT that more traffic increases the odds of customers purchasing more products - it is a statistical fact. And that is probably the TRUTH as to why HTML emails have been introduced AND why all of our notifications are broken. Again, I'm not trying to be rude or offend any of your guys or any of the lackeys either. I'm just facing facts about the current condition - and there isn't much that can be done about it. However ...

{Groundspeak Lackeys: please hear my desperate plea and add them to all the data that you have collected}

I'm confident that Groundspeak must feel some level of social responsibility to their users/customers. Everyone who doesn't like HTML email just needs to speak up and tell Groundspeak that they don't like it! There are SOOO many of us who want to keep the efficiency of the old system. I'm sure Groundspeak will choose to add an option within the account settings or notification settings to disable HTML email. That's all we need! Let the people who dig graphics in their email have their clicky-pretty fun (and make it the default setting), but please just give us (your loyal caching brethren who are rooting for you) an out! I really don't think that's too much to ask for. PLEASE! Kthx. =)