Souvenirs and API

jholly

I see I can get some more digital graffiti all over my profile again in the month of August. Some will like it and some could, like myself, care less. I really don't want them. Yes I can block them from my Groundspeak public profile and for this I really appreciate what was done by a lackey one weekend. But Please API developers, can you check the flag on souvenirs before you send them on their way to see if I chose to hide the souvenir and not send it? I would appreciate that.

I can see a lot of upset people who can't get that seventh because there are no Virtual, WebCam, Letterbox or Wherigo near them... The event requirement could also be tough for many...

I will probably get three just due to normal caching, but will not go out of my way to get all 6 required...

I attend events, but don't log them. I don't look for virtual or WebCam caches. As far as I'm aware, there are no Wherigo caches that I haven't found anywhere near me. I might by chance find a letterbox hybrid.

Another series of "souvenirs" I'm planning to ignore. Then again, I can't even remember the last time I looked at my Souvenirs page.

--Larry

The "website feature request" in this thread is to have a means to prevent these souvenirs to be awarded in the first place.

General discussion about the 7 Souvenirs of August promotion can take place in the Geocaching Topics forum. There's already an active thread there.

The "website feature request" in this thread is to have a means to prevent these souvenirs to be awarded in the first place.

General discussion about the 7 Souvenirs of August promotion can take place in the Geocaching Topics forum. There's already an active thread there.

Actually no, I realize making that request would be futile. The request is for the API developers to honor the hide this souvenir flag I can set on my personal profile page. I don't care if they give me the souvenir, a nice lackey gave me a way to hide it on my public Groundspeak profile. I want the API to honor my request to hide the souvenir so it does not show up on project-gc. To me this is very acceptable solution and probably less traumatic and emotional for the marketing department.

<_< 'J' Do I need to tell Abby about your behavior?

OK, I know she likes you best but once in a while can I win, just once, Please. :laughing:

Go for it :)

Now back on topic, Please API devs please honor the flag. Who knows, I might bring a gift to the block party.

Edited by jholly

That's what I thought. Looks like it's started for one individual only.

But since it's brought up... :laughing:

I was kinda hoping that taking the "personality quiz" would show who wants to participate.

Taking the quiz, you're playing.

The way it is now, like last year, you get 'em whether you want to play or not.

"Greying out" a souvi on my profile isn't the same.

I was kinda hoping that taking the "personality quiz" would show who wants to participate.

Actuslly not. If you go to your personal profile(Your Profile -> souvenirs) and go to the souvenirs page you will see each souvenir has a

___

|x| Hide This

---

shown below each souvenir. Every user with a souvenir has this option shown. If your click it it changes to Show this but over on your public profile that souvenir is not displayed, not greyed, just not there. The request is to have the API also honor this flag and not provide souvenir information for the user that has chosen to hide a given souvenir.

Edited by jholly

Actuslly not. If you go to your personal profile(Your Profile -> souvenirs) and go to the souvenirs page you will see each souvenir has a

___

|x| Hide This

---

shown below each souvenir. Every user with a souvenir has this option shown. If your click it it changes to Show this but over on your public profile that souvenir is not displayed, not greyed, just not there. The request is to have the API also honor this flag and not provide souvenir information for the user that has chosen to hide a given souvenir.

I understand now, I guess.

Your opening post said "my profile", so I assumed it was your profile, not the one seen by the public and was gonna email how you managed to really "Hide it".

Works for hiding from others (the public profile), but "Hide This" on your personal profile simply greys or faints it a bit.

Since it doesn't really "Hide" it, I'd like to see it completely removed.

We didn't cache the entire month last year when my other 2/3rds saw she couldn't delete 'em.

___

|x| Hide This

---

Your opening post said "my profile", so I assumed it was your profile, not the one seen by the public and was gonna email how you managed to really "Hide it".

Works for hiding from others (the public profile), but "Hide This" on your personal profile simply greys or faints it a bit.

We didn't cache the entire month last year when my other 2/3rds saw she couldn't delete 'em.

I'm really not concerned about my personal profile since I'm the only one that can see it and you never know, maybe some time in the future I might really want them on my public profile. So being on my personal profile with a way to re-instate them on my public profile is just fine. I figure my request to have the API honor the flag stands a better chance than asking to have them complete removed.

There are two ways of looking at one's souvenirs. One way (via the public profile) shows what everyone else is seeing and there the hidden souvenirs are hidden also for one's own account.

Edited by cezanne

There are two ways of looking at one's souvenirs. One way (via the public profile) shows what everyone else is seeing and there the hidden souvenirs are hidden also for one's own account.

Like the "Kinda Hide This" flag, moving back and forth between our personal and public profile isn't a fix.

My other 2/3rds really liked keeping track of grids and souvis (I could care less...).

These should be an option by participation, not a blanket "everybody gets 'em, like it or not".

Knowing we couldn't get all days (and seeing how some fakers did...), we didn't cache last August.

Knowing we couldn't get all days (and seeing how some fakers did...), we didn't cache last August.

Seriously? You took the month off because you weren't going to be able to get all 31 souvenirs which you didn't care about anyhow?

Just like last year, I'm sort of flabbergasted that people feel so strongly about opting out. I don't care much for souvenir myself, but I don't seen the need for hidding them from my public profile or to asking Groundspeak for a way to opt out altogether. Last year I put a disclaimer in my profile indicating that the August souvenirs were not requested by me and any that I got had no impact on my decision to cache (it's still there).

Seriously? You took the month off because you weren't going to be able to get all 31 souvenirs which you didn't care about anyhow?

Just like last year, I'm sort of flabbergasted that people feel so strongly about opting out. I don't care much for souvenir myself, but I don't seen the need for hidding them from my public profile or to asking Groundspeak for a way to opt out altogether. Last year I put a disclaimer in my profile indicating that the August souvenirs were not requested by me and any that I got had no impact on my decision to cache (it's still there).

I don't care about.

My other 2/3rds does. We have a team account.

Not about to get her riled for something that (to me) is silly, I found something else to do.

Not sure and don't care what you'd do, but I kinda back her up like that...

I don't care about.

My other 2/3rds does. We have a team account.

Not about to get her riled for something that (to me) is silly, I found something else to do.

Not sure and don't care what you'd do, but I kinda back her up like that...

OK. I know some people who did care about the souvenirs last year were quite upset that when they got all 31 they didn't get some special recoginition. They simply got one more souvenir than the people who cached on 30 days last August. I found that curious, and that would also apply to why someone who knew they wouldn't do the streak would go out of their way to avoid getting any of the souvenirs.

I noticed this year that if you get all six souvenirs you can "opt-in" and get a seventh. I suppose this way people who know they might not get all six would not have to avoid getting any :unsure: since the "real" prize is the bonus. I'm thinking of getting the six and then snubbing Groundspeak by not claiming the seventh - but I don't think anyone would notice.

___

|x| Hide This

---

I found the Hide This/Show This option on my personal profile a bit confusing at first because I often don't look at my public profile page so I wasn't seeing the impact it was having. However, once I used it, it made more sense. Whether your want to hide or permanently want to remove a souvenir you're going to need some of UI to do it. GS chose to use the existing Souvenirs tab on your personal profile to implement the ability to hide and show a specific souvenir.

An alternative method that I suggested last year would involve using a claiming method. The way it would work would be like this:

When you logged a found it/attended log the system would determine if it met the criteria for a souvenir, and if you had not already been awarded the souvenir, it could send an email message which indicate that you had been awarded the souvenir, with a link you could select to "claim" the souvenir. If you do nothing, after a certain period, the award would expire. A souvenir that was not claimed would not show up in either the public or private profile. Once a souvenir *has* been claimed, it could still be hidden/shown on the public profile.