New Gear - Back in the Game

It's been a while. I wanted to get back into caching with my kids. Here's what I learned.

1. I upgraded from an older Magellan hand held. It worked great for 6+ years. I bought a Garmin etrex 30. I probably over bought a little bit, but I really wanted the compass because my old Magellan had that. The unit is amazing and incredibly accurate. I used it to snatch and grab a quick cache near the house. Faster response and more accuracy took me right on top of the cache with ease. I started a track before we left the house and saved it off the unit when I got home and it imported right into Google Earth without any issues. This unit is a breeze to work with and did not require any conversions or skills to get it working with my computer (Mac OS 10.9.4). If you didn't need the compass the 20 would be just fine.

2. I broke down a bought a quality case for my 30. I didn't use a case for my Magellan and it was trashed. I researched a while and found a tough 3rd party case from GizzMoVest. It's a domestic US operation and I bought it through Amazon. I ordered it on a Friday, and it arrived on Monday. Excellent service and it's built like a tank without adding too much bulk to the unit. The thing I really liked is that its very easy to remove the unit from the case for battery, microSD card & USB service. Downsides are that it is a little pricy compared to the OEM case from Garmin and the buttons are covered up. However the case is well worth the price and the button issue is not really that big of a deal if you are already familiar with the unit. One size fits the 10/20/30. Check out their website: http://www.gizzmovest.com/

3. Bit the bullet and signed up for a Premium geocaching.com membership. Being able to transfer GPX files directly to my GPS from the website is invaluable. No more ugly conversions and the GPX files contains tons of additional information to aid in paperless caching. It's worth its weight if you plan to cache casually more than 2-3 times a year.

That's all for now. Happy Caching!

@robemich

Hey Susy, I still geocache but the ones I use are destinations I use over and over again.

[ profanity removed ]

~

Hey,Odourless. Weren't you the one complaining to Groundspeak about disrespectful forum responses? I think we all know what [profanity removed] means.

Edited by robertlipe
Profanity removed by moderator

[ Moderator note. ] Please keep responses courteous, on topic, and in compliance with the forum guidelines. When you see something naughty, please click 'report' so a volunteer moderator can deal with it - don't quote it as that just gives us more to clean up. Thanx for helping to keep the place family friendly.

Fellow eTrex 30 user here. The step up to the 30 also gives you wireless sharing (handy in group hunts) and the wireless lets you use sensors like Tempē, or a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor and communicate with Chirp for thos caches that need it.

I got my eTrex after using a Colorado 400, and chose this unit to optimize for battery. The screen is daylight readable and since it is a lower resolution display it requires less processing power .... So this unit is perfect for backcountry trips. I take a solar charger that can charge 4AA's in three hours (Goal Zero Nomad 7/Guide 10) and two AA's will run the GPS for up to four days of travel at 8 hours of movement a day. So I don't have to pack a brick of batteries for a week long hike or canoe trip.