Travel Bugs - Even more basic

TrueBrit61

Very very new to this, and maybe the geocaching website has the answers - but I can't find them...

Do you just stumble upon a TB, or can you deliberately go find one (any one in your vicinity) by looking them up on a map? If so, how?

Where can I find a guide to the icons used on maps etc?

Let me know if the answer lies in ones membership level.

Thanks.

You can't view them from the map, but if you go to "Hide & Seek a cache" and search for caches, you'll see a column that says "info." Within that, it shows icons for travel bugs and geocoins that should be in the cache (unless it's a red wrench). Be aware that there is no guarantee, as sometimes people don't log when they take them.

Good luck!

8rFlhGF.png

Edited by ADKer

^^^Nice explanation!

I wouldn't base my searches on whether a cache has a bug or coin. I have found a couple bugs that weren't listed and I've visited caches that list several bugs and have none. It's a crapshoot.

Thanks guys, very helpful...I surmised as much but couldn't find the explicit statements to the effect.

Actually am going East this weekend and had my 'eye' on a cache to go find (0.1m from my hotel!!) - coincidentally now I know what to look for it is reported in the table to have two trackables in it but very recent finders (like yesterday) don't make mention though earlier finders remark on the caching of same. Interesting to see if your (LMN) 'prediction' is correct.

^^^Nice explanation!

I wouldn't base my searches on whether a cache has a bug or coin. I have found a couple bugs that weren't listed and I've visited caches that list several bugs and have none. It's a crapshoot.

Thanks guys, very helpful...I surmised as much but couldn't find the explicit statements to the effect.

Actually am going East this weekend and had my 'eye' on a cache to go find (0.1m from my hotel!!) - coincidentally now I know what to look for it is reported in the table to have two trackables in it but very recent finders (like yesterday) don't make mention though earlier finders remark on the caching of same. Interesting to see if your (LMN) 'prediction' is correct.

Either. It's not there.

Or. If I'm doing a 'Quick' cache I don't always take a good look at what's in there. It's a case of get the log, sign, and return cache.

I HAVE missed trackables (there are a lot of 'new' types, if it's not an obvious geocoin or dog tag TB I don't immediately recognise it -especially if I'm not looking for it!)

I HAVE missed trackables (there are a lot of 'new' types, if it's not an obvious geocoin or dog tag TB I don't immediately recognise it -especially if I'm not looking for it!)

I have a few of those new types that I'm afraid to release. As hard as it is to get everyone to properly log the standard TB tag, I worry that they will not recognize the fancy new tags for what they are.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

I have a few of those new types that I'm afraid to release. As hard as it is to get everyone to properly log the standard TB tag, I worry that they will not recognize the fancy new tags for what they are.

Especially if it's in a large container with lots of other stuff. The less that a TB looks like the dogtag and the more it looks like a regular keychain, the less likely I am to notice it. That's why I always just get regular travel bugs.