Moving a cache more than 528 feet

We have a cache located outside a particular business, and the container is closely related to the nature of the business. The building sold and the business is moving up the street about a half mile. We'd like to move the cache along with it. Our understanding is that moves of more than a mile require a brand new listing, but under a mile, we could request an update of the coords by a reviewer and keep the original listing. Are we mistaken? Where can we find clarification? (if not here). Thanks!

Edited by humspuds

We have a cache located outside a particular business, and the container is closely related to the nature of the business. The building sold and the business is moving up the street about a half mile. We'd like to move the cache along with it. Our understanding is that moves of more than a mile require a brand new listing, but under a mile, we could request an update of the coords by a reviewer and keep the original listing. Are we mistaken? Where can we find clarification? (if not here). Thanks!

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.11. How do I update coordinates for my geocache?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=61

[update 1 May 2012]

Geocache owners may find it necessary to update their geocache's coordinates if the container has been moved or if the original coordinates are inaccurate. If the new coordinates are less than 161m/528 feet from the posted coordinates, the coordinates can be updated by the geocache owner. Before moving your container, review our geocache saturation guidelines and be aware of other geocaches in the area. Your move may put your geocache too close to other geocaches.

1. Click on Log Your Visit from the navigation box in the upper right corner of the geocache page.

2. Choose the "Update Coordinates" log type.

3. You must click "add a coordinate to this log" in the shaded Log Options field below the Comments field.

4. The page will reload, with your geocache's current coordinates already loaded in the coordinate boxes, below the text entry area. You may have to scroll down to see them.

5. Edit those coordinates to the new coordinates.

6. Enter an explanation for this change into the comments field, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Submit Log Entry" button.

If the new coordinates are too far from the original coordinates, a reviewer will need to change the coordinates for you. You will receive a red error message at the bottom of the page and an email link to the original reviewer will be provided. In your email, please be sure to include:

The GC code of your geocache

The old and new coordinates

The reason for the change

If the original reviewer is no longer active, please email us and we'll put you in touch with an active local reviewer.

In some cases, it may be more appropriate to archive the original geocache and submit the moved geocache as a new listing. Once you have updated the coordinates, make sure your geocache is enabled. Also be sure to clear the Needs Maintenance icon, if needed, by posting an Owner Maintenance log.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.13. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

If you need to change the coordinates beyond 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m), or change the type of geocache, please contact your local reviewer. The reviewer will check the changes for adherence to the current guidelines and notify you when the changes have been made, or suggest that a new geocache listing should be submitted. Please be sure to follow any instructions the reviewer may send you.

There is a link to the profile page of the reviewer that reviewed your geocache listing in the bottom of your geocache page (you must be logged in). If you email a reviewer and do not receive a reply within one week, the reviewer account may be inactive and you will need to contact us at Groundspeak. contact@geocaching.com

When you contact the reviewer or Groundspeak please provide the geocache name and GC Code for the listing.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

What Pup Patrol said...

Although I reckon if it was me, I'd archive the old cache and create a new cache listing for the new one as it really is a new cache. Totally my opinion though, and you should do whatever you feel is right.

One vote for this. Given the distance you want to move I would give you the two proverbial chances of that being granted. It might be the same business but it is a new cache. Just a thought have you checked to see if the new location is available and not blocked by a current cache.

I would think about if the new cache differs from the old one in the way it's hidden and D/T. It would also depend on the object (location) and the density of caches / popularity.

For instance, if I had a cache on a mountain plateau (devoted to this plateau) and the cache was destroyed and I found another good place for the similar hide about 200 m away with the same D/T and there were no more caches on the same theme (nearby) I would most probably move the old cache with the help of my reviewer. With the new cache visitors will have exactly the same experience as with the old one.

However if I change the cache type or increase it's terrain level (so people will have to climb a rock instead of just picking the container up from the ground) or it's a city cache where every 100 m of walking gives one some new experience - then I would most probably publish a new cache.

Edited by -CJ-