Geocaching events

Ckoz109

Anyone have or know of any geocaching events in their area?

Seriously though, is there a point to this? Are you asking if there are any upcoming events in your area? See the next question. Are you asking how to find events? Aside from the weekly newsletter- as a premium member, you can get notified of events when they get published, so you have time to plan for them. Book time off work, or whatever you need. Or is there something else you're asking?

Anyone have or know of any geocaching events in their area?

You've posted this in the Geocaching Topics forum, which can cover the entire spectrum of geocaching areas.

Are you looking for events in a particular area?

In addition to the newsletter, which only comes out once a week, you can search for events by

1. going to the Hide & Seek page, and choosing the location you're interested in

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

2. going to your profile http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx and scrolling down to the Search Options section. If you've got your home location set in your profile, and I believe you need a postal code as well, then you can click on "List newest in xxx". All newly published events and caches will be there, with events/mega events listed first.

B.

He's not asking about events in his area - the way the OP is worded, it sounds to me like he is asking in a general forum for people to post about events in their area. Sounds like a perfectly legitmate post for a discussion forum. Or are we assuming because he only has 7 posts that we know better than he does what he meant to post?

Edited by TopShelfRob

He's not asking about events in his area - the way the OP is worded, it sounds to me like he is asking in a general forum for people to post about events in their area. Sounds like a perfectly legitmate post for a discussion forum. Or are we assuming because he only has 7 posts that we know better than he does what he meant to post?

I didn't make any assumptions because of a find count. I didn't know his find count until you posted it.

We were trying to be helpful. This is an international forum...there are probably thousands and thousands of events taking place each day. I don't see the point of talking about all of them here. Perhaps in a regional subforum, or a local caching site or Facebook, but here?

Yeah, there's lots of events in Ontario, Canada. Primarily meet & greets in restaurants, etc. Lots of CITO events throughout the year, flash mobs, mega events, picnics, camping....on and on and on.

I would prefer to hear from the OP as to whether we misunderstood his/her question or not, thank you very much.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I didn't make any assumptions because of a find count. I didn't know his find count until you posted it.

We were trying to be helpful. This is an international forum...there are probably thousands and thousands of events taking place each day. I don't see the point of talking about all of them here. Perhaps in a regional subforum, or a local caching site or Facebook, but here?

Yeah, there's lots of events in Ontario, Canada. Primarily meet & greets in restaurants, etc. Lots of CITO events throughout the year, flash mobs, mega events, picnics, camping....on and on and on.

I would prefer to hear from the OP as to whether we misunderstood his/her question or not, thank you very much.

B.

Well I apologize if my response sounded a little more snarky than I intended, but when the first replies basically all responded as if they were answering the question he didn't ask but thought that he should have, it just seems to be a little condenscending and was serving to make the forums an unwelcoming place for a newbie. I would think he should deserve to get answers to the question he did ask, and then if he wants to clarify because he mis-worded he could then do so. But to assume he mis-worded right off the bat? Maybe he lives in an area that has hardly any events and doesn't realize the scope and amount of events that are out there?

Sorry I butted in.

My bad for assuming too much and trying to be helpful. I guess that is condescending and in retrospect T.D.M.22 had the best answer. So I will correct my condescending post and simply say:

Yes

No, I shouldn't have said anything, you guys are right, that is probably what he meant. You all were just being helpful.

I just get defensive when I see how "regulars" generally treat newcomers in forums. Not just here but in forums in general around the internet. Yes, I am generalizing.

I rely on the weekly Newsletter to let me know when local Events are going on:

Newsletter and Weekly Emailer

I would think that you could also use Instant Notifications, but I don't tend to plan that far in advance:

Instant Notifications

If I'm traveling, I tend just to browse the Event Calender, which was mentioned earlier.

Yep. It's always fun to attend events while traveling. If there isn't one that fits into my schedule, I'll host one of my own.

I've hosted my Snoogandipity events in several states. I will be hosting one in San Diego on 9/18.

I have a pocket query created on the unfound caches using my home coordinates as the center point, when I preview it and then sort by date placed it will show the events first as the placed date is in the future, very easy to get a good list of events comming up.

If you want to find events in another city just create a PQS around a cache in that city.

Edited by Roman!

Yep. It's always fun to attend events while traveling. If there isn't one that fits into my schedule, I'll host one of my own.

I've hosted my Snoogandipity events in several states. I will be hosting one in San Diego on 9/18.

We've done the same thing. Cache in other states is great, but meeting the locals is even better.