Favorite Midwest Winter Caching Experiences?

Bjorn74

Hmmmm, good question. This is my first winter caching so I can't say with 100% confidence since the winter isn't over yet. Anyhow, I really like the snow, and driving in the snow...yeah I know check me into the mental ward...so my most memorable winter cache is Where Locks Live because when I got there it just started snowing really hard. The route I took to get there and get out consisted mainly of back roads, so it made it very interesting. Plus some of the views I got on my trip to/from the cache area were really beautiful with all the snow covering everything. I would also have to rate George Is Near The Water Tower up there too. This one mainly because it was a friggin' pill bottle buried under about 6" of snow. I spent a long time searching for it, but for some reason didn't feel compelled to give up at any point. While stomping around I found a decent walking stick that I started to use to poke around in the spots I thought the cache might be hidden. Finally I got lucky and cleared just enough snow to see part of the pill bottle. I only exposed about a pinky nail size part of the cache which was covered up by the snow just moments later....so I guess it was a matter of looking in the right place at the right time to be able to see it. icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I just discovered caching in November, so technically all of my caching has been in the winter. But the way the weather has been so far, it hasn't seemed like winter, so...

My favorite experience was Abbys Treasure Island. This cache was logged once in 2002, and not till September. I knew there was very little chance of me logging this cache in the summer, since I don't have access to a boat. I was waiting for the river to freeze so I could get across the ice. I was hoping to be the first to log it this year.

I kept an eye on the river and finally decided to give it a try. I made the 3/4 mile hike down to the island but chickened out when the ice groaned on about my third step. Two weeks go by, the temperatures went up then back down, so I checked the river again. This time there were lots of snowmobile tracks so I figured that was a good sign. I made the hike again and eased onto the ice, stopping to listen every few steps. I made it across and found the cache after a short hunt. HEY! someone had already been there this year, and just a couple of hours after my first attempt.

Oh well....It was a good challenge.