Maps for eTrex20

KenyonFam5

I just got a new Garmin eTrex 20 a few weeks ago. I've used it a few times with the kids and we have pretty good luck with it. One thing that makes it next to impossible is not having any sort of roads or maps on it. I don't have a cell phone with maps on it so I rely on the gps to get us there. If I were to buy maps that have road details on it, which would you suggest buying? After shopping around, I see there are a lot of options for maps...it may help to mention I live in Myrtle Point, OR. A pretty small town that doesn't have a lot to offer. Is there anyone that can suggest where to get maps so I can navigate the streets when geocaching and not miss a turn or go the wrong way...also, is it just my gps settings or do all loaded pocket queries show the straight line from you to the geocach?

Have a look-see here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .

There are plenty of free downloading sites, but there are also paid maps, too. Garmin has them for your unit.

As far as 'routing' -- being directed by roads instead of the straight line method -- it is solely dependent upon the mapping program installed. It has nothing to do with a PQ or other method of loading the cache data.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks. I know it doesn't, I just want to be able to see the roads on my gps..not even have it direct me to the spot, but being able to see roads will help because we were looking for one yesterday and ended up going up someones private drive because we thought we were heading in the right direction...

I use OSM as well. Quality depends on the area you're interested in - for my area it is excellent.

If you want driving directions, my suggestion is to pick up a Nuvi with lifetime map updates. It's almost cheaper than buying Garmin Maps, you have something that is designed for use while driving (voice directions, larger display), and you can load geocaches onto it as custom points of interest.

If you don't mind spending the money, you can get all the maps you need from Garmin. Topographical maps will show all the local streets and terrain features. Garmin's City Navigator maps add routing capabilities (driving directions)

If you'd rather save money, two sites you need to know:

www.gpsfiledepot.com......Topographical maps

www.openstreetmap.org....Routable maps which can provide driving directions.

In practice, you can have both topo and routable maps installed together on your GPS. I have both on my Oregon 550 and they work great....You don't have to specify which map you want to use, they overlay each other, if that makes sense. I can easily switch back and forth between "on-road" navigation (using the routable maps) and "off road" navigation (straight line, as the crow flies).

There is a little bit of a learning curve selecting the proper maps for your area and getting them installed to the device...If you're even just a little bit tech savvy it's not hard to figure out. If you'd rather not deal with the hassle you can purchase both types of map from Garmin.

I downloaded the file from OSM (I think) but now I think maybe I've done it wrong...I clicked on Download Map with BitTorrent and there is nothing on my computer that will open the file...Can someone give me better directions on how to get those files from OSM onto my GPS. I don't know how to plug my GPS into my computer using the supplied USB cable and find the SD card on there?

Which website did you try to get it from?

Go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Select either Generic Routable or Generic Routable (new style)

Depending on your needs, either select the individual tiles, or select the country / state that you're interested in.

You can have a new set generated and receive an email with download link when it's done, or save some time and download a previously generated set (if available).

I was downloading it from the link that was posted at one point www.osmmaps.com I think. I will try that website and see what I can do. Do you have a sort of walkthrough once downloaded?

From my memory (which, sadly, is almost like the Queen Alexandra Birdwing Butterfly) :

• Download ZIP file
  • Open ZIP
  • If necessary, rename gmapsupp.img (to something ending with img) to avoid overwriting another map with same name
  • Copy file to your Garmin device under the "GARMIN" folder (you will see a gmapbmap.img in there - that's the very low resolution base map)

You may need to turn on that map layer, it's buried somewhere in the setup menu. Can't help you there as I don't have an eTrex 20 (I use an old Oregon).

So I downloaded the option that said "Compressed file containing a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS. Unzip first!". Do I need to rename it since its on the SD card and since doing that, it should open two maps at once and I will still have to turn on map layer?

So I downloaded the option that said "Compressed file containing a single image that can be placed directly onto the SD-card of the GPS. Unzip first!". Do I need to rename it since its on the SD card and since doing that, it should open two maps at once and I will still have to turn on map layer?

You can place it in main memory or SD card. In either case, as long as there is no other gmapsupp.img in the GARMIN folder, there's no need to rename. I do rename mine so that I know what map it is (for example, I name my California / Nevada map as GMAPCANV.IMG)

If you're copying it to SD card, first create the GARMIN folder on the SD card, then copy the map into the GARMIN folder.

The eTrex should be able to open multiple maps at the same time. I believe it is enabled by default, but if you don't see it, then check inside the SETUP menu.