Permissions for placing a cache

BeorntheViking

Hello everyone!

I am thinking of placing a cache on a small bridge that overlooks a VERY pretty marsh area. Now because of the area and such it would have to be a micro or small size.

What I need some advice/guidance on is this...who would you contact about gaining permissions for putting something on a small bridge....it is more of an upscale guardrail for a marsh flow through. do you get permission for this? Who would you go to? City? It is not part of a park system. This is in Salem MA

Thank you!

Somebody owns, has stewardship or otherwise manages the land.... that is the person you seek, even if it is a park or refuge.

With a bridge or walkway, if I knew nothing else, I would start by finding who built that structure. Whoever paid/contracted them is probably the one you want to talk to. If not, it's a start anyway.

EDIT to add: Check with your local reviewer. They usually know much more than what they are given credit for.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Somebody owns, has stewardship or otherwise manages the land.... that is the person you seek, even if it is a park or refuge.

With a bridge or walkway, if I knew nothing else, I would start by finding who built that structure. Whoever paid/contracted them is probably the one you want to talk to. If not, it's a start anyway.

EDIT to add: Check with your local reviewer. They usually know much more than what they are given credit for.

Thank you! I appreciate the helpd/advice!

Once you find out which organization owns/maintains the bridge, you still have to figure out who is in a position of authority who can grant permission. Assuming the organization doesn't already have a geocaching policy (in which case, you just need to follow the existing policy), I suggest starting by asking who can give you permission, rather than asking for permission itself.

If that bridge carries vehicular traffic the cache may be a no go right off the bat. Per the guidelines for listing a cache, bridges are among the structures that may be off limits for cache placements. If it's just a pedestrian bridge then it should be OK from a guidelines perspective.