Getting into Travel Bugs

Ethankwolfe

So I've been reading into travel bugs lately, and I'm got a few questions for people who work with them a lot.

First of all, what -are- travel bugs, most of the time? Are they mostly a larger toy or keepsake with the dogtags attached, or are there a lot of less-conventional, homemade kids out there, maybe with the code and insignia sculpted/painted on the item?

Second, if I wanted to make my own travel bug, what would a good maximum size be to make sure it'll be able to get into hotels and trek towards its destination?

Numero tres, How often do they reach their destination? How often do they just sort of... disappear? (I wouldn't want to invest too much into a new TB if they have a tendency to vanish)

And last, do you have any tips for finding good travel lodges/ hotels nearby for a bug, whether to start it on its journey, or to place other bugs if I ever decide to start moving other peoples' bugs from cache to cache? Should I look for favorite points, or should I pay more attention to the logs or the history of bugs at that location? (That history can be a bit tough to navigate)

Thanks!

2. There are a huge assortment of items that are "trackable" (coins and ... etc.) but it sounds like you want a more "personal" trackable thing, this is where the TB (travel bug) is good. When you get a "TB" it will be a set of two dog tags. That's all. One you keep, to keep track of the distinct tracking number, the other you attach to ..... ANYTHING. I don't know if there is a "usual" type at all... other than maybe a "cool looking key chain" but people get really creative, like you explained with a piece of art or a tractor tire or whatever.
  3. Size is again... whatever you want. If you want it to see more action I would keep it light-weight and smallish so people will actually carry it.
  4. I don't know stats to answer this. I do know that some *vanish* from their maiden cache, some hop all over the place, and sometimes they will sit in either a cache or a trunk for years and then suddenly show up again. It's kind of a gamble, but it's only like five dollars.
  5. I've never been to or used a cache specifically designated as a "hotel" for TB's. The first one I released I put in a cache that was a nice little woodsy hike, but pretty close to the airport. My thinking was maybe I would get somebody traveling farther, but definitely I would get somebody who will actually go on a hike.
    When I move TB's around I tend place them in caches that require at least a little hike, but are maybe easier terrain. They won't leave the cache nearly as rapidly as if I placed them in a rest area TB hotel, but at least I feel a little more assured that somebody who will make the hike is more likely to have respect for the purpose of a TB and knowledge of what to do with it (or at least an idea of where to look).

That's just my personal views on it. I have a whole whopping ONE traveler I have released, but she is still moving and at a fairly good rate, and I get some nice photos of her in neat places.

Sort answers are

2. whatever you want
  3. whatever you want
  4. it varies
  5. depends on what you want

On the "what to make into a TB" question, I have created most of mine out of swaps that have looked interesting or just would make a good TB. I have also made one out of a copy of my own dog id just because it was a little special to me.

In regards to TBs, it is very much anything goes. However, I think it is best to try and keep them small, the smaller they are the more likely they can be placed quickly.

So I've been reading into travel bugs lately, and I'm got a few questions for people who work with them a lot.

First of all, what -are- travel bugs, most of the time? Are they mostly a larger toy or keepsake with the dogtags attached, or are there a lot of less-conventional, homemade kids out there, maybe with the code and insignia sculpted/painted on the item?

Second, if I wanted to make my own travel bug, what would a good maximum size be to make sure it'll be able to get into hotels and trek towards its destination?

Numero tres, How often do they reach their destination? How often do they just sort of... disappear? (I wouldn't want to invest too much into a new TB if they have a tendency to vanish)

And last, do you have any tips for finding good travel lodges/ hotels nearby for a bug, whether to start it on its journey, or to place other bugs if I ever decide to start moving other peoples' bugs from cache to cache? Should I look for favorite points, or should I pay more attention to the logs or the history of bugs at that location? (That history can be a bit tough to navigate)

Thanks!

Great questions!

As others said, it is really up to you.

Although they can be anything or any size, a good idea for size is something that fits in the palm of your hand. Realize that many caches are not big enough to hold even that, so something that fits into most 'small' or 'regular' size caches is good.

They can be just the dogtag, or other tag, but I dont think they travel as well that way. Having a small and inexpensive trinket attached seems to increase the interest.

If my dogtagged item goes missing, I often create something that has the number written/painted on it, and a laminated tag attached to it.

The laminated tag is also helpful in giving people an idea that it is a traveler and what its goal is.

Yes, they go missing. When releasing, never send something that you expect to get back or reach its goal. Just send something and see how it travels and what adventures it goes on. With that said, I have had a few reach their goals, and some just keep traveling along (which is their goal).

Expect that people do not really read the goal and abide, again, it is just an adventure, and reaching a goal is more of a bonus. As long as they are moving along ...

As for where to put them -- once you release them you won't have any control. In your area, just look for a cache that is big enough to hold them, and gets decent amounts of visits but doesn't have a tendency for getting lost or stolen. It doesn't need to be listed as a 'hotel'. I often like to use newer caches, as they have a more frequent find rate at the beginning of their existence.

I almost never see a "Trackable" that is an item with only a TB number written on it. The TBs I find are the official TB dog tags. But since there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what makes a TB endure in the game, try writing a tracking number on an object, if you like. But somehow you'll need to convey to every finder, "this is a Travel Bug", if it doesn't have the familiar dog tag. These poor finders will be in this very Forum asking what the deal is with your object with a number written on it :anicute:.

There is no maximum size. But cachers pass around the car door TB like a hot potato. It's no fun to lug a huge object that nobody wants, the TO created it as a sick joke. Shame on them :ph34r:. On the other hand, if it's not just a weird psychological cry for help (that is, if you make a giant TB that is actually fun), go for it. Otherwise, if you want it to go cache-to-cache, be sure it fits into most sandwich-box sized containers with room to spare. As mentioned, "pocket-sized" is a good rule of thumb... "pocket-sized", yet maybe a little too uncomfortable to remain in a pocket forever. :anicute:

There are many ways for a TB to vanish, and no explanation for why many stay in the game. You never know what will happen, and you can't micro-manage these things once sent into the wilds. If you really like having your TB, keep it. Otherwise, you'll never get it back (except in rare cases). There are fun ways to play a TB without placing it to risk loss.

I know of a couple of decent sized local caches that are convenient, yet nomuggle seems to mess with. Look around your area for a few caches like that, good caches where you can drop a TB safely and easily. Never hang onto a TB due to "not finding a big enough cache" unless you know the TB Owner is OK with that plan.

Edited by kunarion