Noob Questions

Schnardito

Just a few questions:

1) At what point do you usually determine whether the cache is missing versus just not being able to find it?

2) If several logs report not being able to find the cache, is it usually worth looking anyway?

3) How do you know which items are meant for trade and which are left as signatures?

4) How do you get involved with trackables? It seems fun but I can't figure out how to get started.

Thanks for the help. We just started geocaching yesterday, got 10 already, it's so much fun! We're hooked and will definitely continue with this :)

1] YOU don't determine that the cache is missing.... the Owner does. (S)he knows where it should be.... you don't! You post a DNF and continue on.

2] Good question, but there is no good answer. It depends on how long you want to spend looking for it.

Trust me... you will see a lot of "Easy Find" logs, even though it takes you three or more trips to find it. Once you do find it, you'll probably slap yourself silly.

3] Signature items, though not SWAG are take-able/trade-able. Many folks collect Sig Items.

4] Trackables? This is a fairly good place to start: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Just a few questions:

1) At what point do you usually determine whether the cache is missing versus just not being able to find it?

2) If several logs report not being able to find the cache, is it usually worth looking anyway?

3) How do you know which items are meant for trade and which are left as signatures?

4) How do you get involved with trackables? It seems fun but I can't figure out how to get started.

Thanks for the help. We just started geocaching yesterday, got 10 already, it's so much fun! We're hooked and will definitely continue with this :)

1) It's impossible for the geocacher to know whether it is missing or you are not able to find it. When the owner sees several "Did not find" logs, he/she will probably visit the cache to check that it is still there and able to be found. The only exception is the very few times where you see the cache has been "muggled", that is when it has been found by non-geocachers and is usually spread around the area, then you write this in your log under "needs maintenance"

2) Of course! It can be very well hidden and you may be able to find it. The only thing that shows is that it's harder to find than usual. I found a cache after 3 hours of searching that had been logged as "Did not find" and that was because the cache looked like a stone, but was hollow, and other people missed it. The harder the find, the greater the accomplishment.

3) Generally all items EXCEPT the log and pen is meant for trade. Signature items are just some people's way of leaving their "mark" and is a really cool item to come across. If you find a travelbug/coin with a trackable number, then you can take it with you and leave it in another cache of your choice.

4) Trackable items can be purchased on the website and registered. Usually you find one and that is how you get started, but you can place on of your own if you wish. One place you can buy them is here.

I hope the answers were to some help!

And most importantly:

Welcome to Geocaching! May your adventures bring you hours of joy!

As a cache owner, I determine that a cache is missing when it isn't where I hid it, and I can't find it anywhere nearby (because finders don't always put it back quite right, so caches do sometimes migrate). As a previous finder, I might determine that a cache is missing when it isn't where I found it, and there is no indication that the owner has changed the hide location/style since I found it.

As a seeker, I determine that a cache is missing when the owner checks on it and says it's missing, or when someone who found it in the past (preferably in the recent past) says it's missing. I've been known to DNF (post a Did Not Find log) as many as 6 times before finally finding the (well-hidden) cache.

How do you define "usually worth looking"?

Sometimes I'll search for a cache that I suspect is missing, especially if no one has posted a NM (Needs Maintenance) log yet. Then, if I can't find it after a good search, I'll post a NM log myself, asking the CO (Cache Owner) to check on it.

The log book or log sheet should be the only things with signatures (although some logs are rather creative and unusual). Personal signature items left by other geocachers are just trade items. Some of us collect them. (Actually, personal signature items left by other geocachers are the only things I trade for.)

If you just want to move/discover someone else's trackable that you've found in a geocache, then just take it with you when you replace that geocache, and then leave it in another geocache. Just be sure to log the trackables travels.

If you want to own a trackable, then you'll need to buy one, then register it on the geocaching.com site, then say goodbye to it and drop it in a geocache.

There is more information about trackables here:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10

After you look for a cache for a minute just throw down a new one sign the new log and log it as found.

NOT THE WAY TO DO IT!!!

If you fail to find it post a DID NOT FIND and move on to the next one.

Most of all have fun on your adventure.

Unless you are there with someone who previously found the cache, or unless you find irrefutable evidence that you know where it was, it's almost impossible to tell. Just log a DNF and let the CO sort it out.

Sure it's worth it in many instances. Sometimes DNFs are "catching". One person logs a DNF, then the next person comes along and looks for a few minutes and sees the previous DNF and gives up without a more thorough search. And the next person sees that and only makes a cursory search and so on. I can't count the number of times I had a cache that was being regularly found, then accumulated 3-4 DNFs in a row and it was right where I hid it. Also consider the skill level of those logging the DNF. If you have 3-4 in a row with 20 finds between the loggers, take it with a grain of salt. If there are 3 or 4 DNFs in a row from highly experienced cachers you might take them more seriously.

Signature items usually have the name of the cacher who left them on the item. Either way, it's perfectly fine to trade for signature items. Some people actually collect them.

Buy them and release them or find them in caches and move them along. This should answer most of your questions http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx

Edited by briansnat

Just a few questions:

You're getting good answers, but the more ways you hear the same answer expressed, the better:

I never, ever decide a cache is missing because I can't find it. No matter how easy the rating, no matter how obvious the hiding spot. Naturally I sometimes suspect, but in my DNF logs, I describe my search as if it will help the CO identify why I missed the cache.

Good question. No, typically it is not worth looking if there are a series of DNFs, particularly for a novice. In some cases, the DNFs only tell you the cache is hard to find, not that it's missing, but if you're a newbie, you're probably not going to find a cache that's that hard to find.

The other side of this coin, though, is that it is immensely satisfying to find a cache that lots of others have missed recently, so I'll sometimes look if I pass by, even though I know I'm probably wasting my time.

Other than the logs, of course, all items are left for trade, even signature items, with the single (and very important) exception of the stamp in a letterbox hybrid. In rare cases, you might find something clearly marked that it should be left in the cache.

First, learn to identify trackables. They almost always say "trackable at geocaching.com" and have a series of numbers and letters on them somewhere. Don't bother to seek them, just enjoy them when you find them. I suggest leaving the first couple you find in the cache and just write down the number, then log the trackable as "discovered" when you get home. Once you're in the habit of writing down the number and logging them on-line, you can start picking them up and moving them. When you pick up a trackable, you are promising to drop it again within a week or so, so don't do it if you don't think you'll be in a position to do that.

I see previous DNFs as challenges....maybe the difficulty should be higher, maybe others do what I frequently do and over think the issue. The only person who can say a cache is missing is the person(s) who placed it.

We had searched for something that was "within six feet of the ********" and come up with nothing. Warmed up in the car, had a drink then back into the cold and I found it - ATTACHED to the ********! Hiders are crafty, so you have to crafty in your seeking skills - think "where would I hide it?"

The travel bugs I have released are missing in action, so I don't bother with that anymore, but do have a bug on my vehicle for others to discover.