Placing Geocaches along a River

cache_n_out

Hi,

Has anyone out there looked into placing geocaches along the Whitewater river in Ohio? I have a question in to some reviewers, but haven't heard back. In Indiana there's 2 counties where you can't. Just wondering if anyone has ever done any homework on it. Thanks in advance.

To the best of my knowledge I should be allowed to place geocaches along the whitewater river below the high water mark.

CNO

I think I'm good based on http://www.greenacrescanoe.com/RiverLaws/RiverLaws.html I have seen this done several times in SE Indiana'

Hi,

Has anyone out there looked into placing geocaches along the Whitewater river in Ohio? I have a question in to some reviewers, but haven't heard back. In Indiana there's 2 counties where you can't. Just wondering if anyone has ever done any homework on it. Thanks in advance.

To the best of my knowledge I should be allowed to place geocaches along the whitewater river below the high water mark.

CNO

I think I'm good based on http://www.greenacrescanoe.com/RiverLaws/RiverLaws.html I have seen this done several times in SE Indiana'

Your link is reference to boating/rafting as it mostly applies to navigable waters -- and, it is a synopsis seemingly constructed by a commercial concern regarding their use(s) of that waterway. Tread lightly when basing a decision or meaningful argument on such information.

It says a lot of Indiana, but I don't see how this applies to Ohio.

Simply put, you need to check into the ownership, stewardship or other managing party that controls the property. You need permission to place caches in many (most?) lands that you do not own/control. Some managing organizations require SPECIFIC permission -- most notably Federal agencies.

I understand that the State of Ohio has even higher standards regarding their state lands. If it is state land that you are speaking of in Ohio, do be prepared for disappointment. That may well be why there are no caches in that area.

Your first order of business is to find out just WHO owns or controls that land.