Taking TBs abroad by plant via a muggle

carloadof8balls

I've just purchased some TBs and would like my brother to take one to the states when he visits there in a few weeks.

He hasn't registered on the site as Geocaching isn't really for him.

He does have the GC app on his iphone though so will be able to locate caches when he gets there.

If I give him a TB to place in a cache, are there any do's or don'ts beforehand?

Should I just activate it and enter the details of where it was left on the activation page once he has done so?

Id just like a TB to work its way back to the UK from where ever he drops it in a cache.

many thanks in advance for any help

I would look up some caches in a place you know your brother is going to visit. If he's in a city, he may have a hard time locating a cache large enough to hold trackables, or he may pick a cache that's prone to getting its trackables stolen, etc. By spending some time weeding through the descriptions, logs, etc., you may be able to do a better job of choosing caches than he will (since his goal will probably be to get rid of the trackable with a minimum of fuss).

I'd either print my chosen caches out or at least give him a list of the GC codes and show him how to look them up by code via the app. (I assume you can look up caches via the code with the app? I'm not sure on that). Better yet, save the caches on his phone so when he gets there, he just looks at the list of saved caches (I'm also assuming you can save caches long distance like that.)

I'd activate it now, before he goes, and ask him to let you know asap when he drops it in a cache so you can then put that on the trackable's page. If you don't activate it first, someone may find it in the cache (say your brother takes a day or two to tell you that he's dropped it in a cache), find that it's unactivated and think it's a gift as opposed to a trackable.

It may be helpful to put a laminated mission statement attached to the trackable ("I want to go home to the UK," etc)

He hasn't registered on the site as Geocaching isn't really for him.

Do you have a backup plan in case he can't find a cache? There are typically some decent sized containers near airports, just for persons traveling with TBs. But it would be good to know that your brother will find one.

One idea is to research a few possibilities. Look up a couple of likely caches that seem pretty easy and are on the intended route (if driving from the airport), print a satellite map, and show him the location ("follow this line here, along the fence there, it's a coffee can, and the hint is it's next to the tallest tree"). The App would also be handy (it would be best to test it in advance), but knowing exactly where to search would help.

It's not recommended for a cacher to make the logs for a non-cacher, especially from long distance. But if a TB is at least placed into a cache container, that's a start.

You may ask in a regional Forum. Somecacher might pick up the TB in person, or help select a suitable cache.

Edited by kunarion

'Tis true... it's a baaaad idea to rely on a muggle (family or not!) to do your beckoning.

You fail to mention -- business or leisure trip?

If business, he is gonna have other things on his mind. Your TB probably won't be placed at all.

If leisure, then there is a stronger possibility that he will at least make an attempt.

Either way, if it is a 'whirlwind' trip, it will either be not placed or muffed-up. Geocaching isn't his thing... so it is of little importance to him.

If you do give it to him for the trip, did you even consider logging a first cache with your TB at home? That is... "launching" it locally. Seems like a waste of 3400+ miles (London to NYC) for having it travel so far.

There are TB 'exchange' people available. There is a current, on-going thread in this particular forum dealing with that. Personally, I would go that route rather than to subject my bro to something he has little to no interest in doing.

I dare say, you have a bit to learn about what happens to trackables. Not always, but often at the hands of muggles.

Ahhh some great replies. Thanks.

He is off purely for pleasure. Meeting his friends in Orlando then travelling north to New York in a vintage English style UV

He's there for a few weeks stopping off at various motels the lucky so and so, I'm very jealous

I had a quick look around for some possible cache locations and I'll teach him to search for the larger ones to fit the TB.

I was thinking of logging it in a cache first, that would be a good idea.

I'll talk him into at least looking into the whole GC idea/ experience to get his juices flowing a tad.

He's a keen photographer so I'm sure he'll find some inspiration from the locations he could possibly stumble across.

And give him a hiding if he leaves it in a trash can somewhere. Ha ha!!!

Many thanks for the tips

Carlo

'Tis true... it's a baaaad idea to rely on a muggle (family or not!) to do your beckoning.

If business, he is gonna have other things on his mind. Your TB probably won't be placed at all.

If leisure, then there is a stronger possibility that he will at least make an attempt.

Either way, if it is a 'whirlwind' trip, it will either be not placed or muffed-up. Geocaching isn't his thing... so it is of little importance to him.

If you do give it to him for the trip, did you even consider logging a first cache with your TB at home? That is... "launching" it locally. Seems like a waste of 3400+ miles (London to NYC) for having it travel so far.

There are TB 'exchange' people available. There is a current, on-going thread in this particular forum dealing with that. Personally, I would go that route rather than to subject my bro to something he has little to no interest in doing.

I dare say, you have a bit to learn about what happens to trackables. Not always, but often at the hands of muggles.

Hi,,

My bro is happy to do this for me so no need to exchange with anyone, I just need a plan...

Ok so I don't have any of my own caches just yet.

To send it from a random cache here in the UK would be the plan,,

So do I,,,

Goto my page of said trackable and 'add log entry'

Select type of log options are,,,,,,

'write note' and 'discovered it'... Which one do I chose?

Date logged is obvious

Tracking code is obvious

I'm guessing I 'write note' saying along the lines of,,,

Leaving TB here for someone to take to the states off on its journey across America Bala blaa blaa

I then hand the trackable to my brother who takes it to Orlando and drops it in a cache. He notes the cache name for me...

Do I just then log it myself saying it was dropped there by my brother visiting.

If I'm in the UK won't it look odd that I've dropped a TB in the states?

Surely my brother has to register so it looks like he took it?

Any chance of a step by step guide as to how to start the TB on its way?

Hi,,

My bro is happy to do this for me so no need to exchange with anyone, I just need a plan...

So do I,,,

Date logged is obvious

Tracking code is obvious

Leaving TB here for someone to take to the states off on its journey across America Bala blaa blaa

I then hand the trackable to my brother who takes it to Orlando and drops it in a cache. He notes the cache name for me...

Do I just then log it myself saying it was dropped there by my brother visiting.

You do not start the logging from the TB page.

Here's what you need to do; Decide what cache you want to start it from (closest to home maybe).

Go to the cache page and click on Log your Visit. If you are not actually finding the cache, you choose Write Note. Then write whatever note you want. At the bottom of the page where it says "Dropped off any Trackables?" you select the action of "Visited" for the appropriate TB.

Your brother will have to have a geocaching account, unless you want him to use yours. Edit: or you want to do the logging yourself as you mentioned.

Edited by NanCycle

Hi,,

So do I,,,

Date logged is obvious

Tracking code is obvious

You do not start the logging from the TB page.

Here's what you need to do; Decide what cache you want to start it from (closest to home maybe).

Go to the cache page and click on Log your Visit. If you are not actually finding the cache, you choose Write Note. Then write whatever note you want. At the bottom of the page where it says "Dropped off any Trackables?" you select the action of "Visited" for the appropriate TB.

Your brother will have to have a geocaching account, unless you want him to use yours. Edit: or you want to do the logging yourself as you mentioned.

Hi, me again,

My brother has downloaded the app created a username and password,

So I logged the trackable as dropped in a cache not visited seeing as he now has an account.

I checked his profile and it says account not verified.

Will this make a difference when it comes to logging his drop in the states when he gets there and any future activities?

Thanks in advance

Hi, me again,

My brother has downloaded the app created a username and password,

So I logged the trackable as dropped in a cache not visited seeing as he now has an account.

I checked his profile and it says account not verified.

Will this make a difference when it comes to logging his drop in the states when he gets there and any future activities?

Thanks in advance

Please try to persuade him to validate his account. Not Validated Accounts are currently one of the most aggravating aspects of the game.