possible external power supply for GPSMAP 62stc

I don't understand his response either. All Garmin's except the very early serial use the same connector a basic usb with a little wire change that affects what it does when you hook up but no problem charging. Go to Amazon and they have a bunch of devices that are have much higher power ratings and will charge any connection.

all - forgive my nooby-ness. just didn't want to spend $99 on a gizmo that might fry my GPSr. thanks to all for your input. i plan to call garmin re: compatibility. thanks again.

Go to Powertraveller.com and look for the PowerMonkey Extreme 12V. It doesn't actually output 12V to the usb plug, it outputs 5V/700mAh which will not fry any device, as long as you don't try to recharge disposable batteries. Assuming most GPSrs use about 500mA per hour, the 9000mAh battery on the Extreme 12V will keep that device poweres for 18 hours. If the device sucks closer to 1000mAh, it'll keep it powered for 9 hours straight.

Retails for around $200, the customer support is exceptional, and it can charge or direct power any device that uses either 12V OR 5V.

anybody know if this is available anywhere?

There is probably something available, my son has a small device from Energizer that takes two AA batteries and has a mini usb connector to supply emergency power for a cell phone. I would suggest checking out Energizer's website.

Okay... Step back....

Do you want power for...

- In a car?

- At home?

- In the field?

Millions of options. Depends what you want. Power is all through a micro USB port. Extremely common. Any USB charger, power supply will work.

The 62stc uses a mini USB port -- not a micro USB port.

thanks for all your suggestions. the one unit from garmin that was recommended 1st is NOT compatible with my 62stc, according to garmin tech support. i will investigate other options, although the more i use it, the more satisfied i am with its performance using energizer ultimate lithiums. when i had a colorado, it ate those batteries like candy. not so with my 62stc. thanks again.

Edited by orienteeer