manual download of pq vs using vantage point to explorist gc

ham fam

I am still kind of new to geocaching so bare with me here.

I did some comparing of Pocket Queries manually transferred to my Explorist GC (via email from Geocaching.com), and compared that to using the Vantage Point software to download the pocket queries. And noticed a substantial difference. When I used Vantage point (using the Pocket Queries option), I wound up with 2724 geocaches, 503 child waypoints and 5 waypoints, as found in the Explorist GC screen when clicking Geocaches and waypoints.

But when I manually get them from geocaching.com via email and manually cut and paste them on the Explorist GC receiver, I only see 1500 or so geocaches and 384 waypoints.

Why the difference?

I should mention that before each time I loaded pocket queries, I deleted all the geocaches and waypoints that were on the Explorist GC. To make sure I wasn't getting duplicates and causing issues that way.

And now that I think about it further, I thought the most amount of caches that could be retrieved via one pocket query was 500 caches. So if I am doing 3 x 500 caches that should only be 1500 caches. So then the question becomes where is Vantage point getting the other 1200 or so caches from?

The eXplorist GC is one of those units that "come preloaded with the the World's Most Popular caches".

Did you ever delete those? Perhaps that is what you are looking at along with the 1,000/PQ limit added.

Yes I started by deleting all the files in the geocaching folder as well as all listed in waypoints folder and images. And I did this before downloading each time to make sure I got a legit number.

Good to know about the 1000 PQ limit. Wonder why I was thinking 500?

Vantage Point can grab all the PQ's you currently have in your account. Is it doing that but manually you are not adding them all?

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

I assume you mean for example, if I have 3 different PQs. But I only select 2 of them to transfer to unit. Well that isn't what's happening in my case, I made sure to transfer all 3 PQs, both through Vantage Point as well as through my email account.

I am still kind of new to geocaching so bare with me here.

I did some comparing of Pocket Queries manually transferred to my Explorist GC (via email from Geocaching.com), and compared that to using the Vantage Point software to download the pocket queries. And noticed a substantial difference. When I used Vantage point (using the Pocket Queries option), I wound up with 2724 geocaches, 503 child waypoints and 5 waypoints, as found in the Explorist GC screen when clicking Geocaches and waypoints.

But when I manually get them from geocaching.com via email and manually cut and paste them on the Explorist GC receiver, I only see 1500 or so geocaches and 384 waypoints.

Why the difference?

I should mention that before each time I loaded pocket queries, I deleted all the geocaches and waypoints that were on the Explorist GC. To make sure I wasn't getting duplicates and causing issues that way.

And now that I think about it further, I thought the most amount of caches that could be retrieved via one pocket query was 500 caches. So if I am doing 3 x 500 caches that should only be 1500 caches. So then the question becomes where is Vantage point getting the other 1200 or so caches from?